Bad houseguest :( Lost an entire hatch.

spookyevilone

Crazy Quail Lady
14 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis
I have an unexpected houseguest for the holidays, courtesy of another relative having to back out of that commitment due to a sick child. I have my hatcher set up in the living room, on a power strip surge protector, which also has my christmas lights plugged into it. The christmas lights have an on/off switch on the cord.

Last night, the guest turned off the lights by shutting off the power strip, and turned my hatcher off as well.
sad.png
he.gif
smack.gif
I had 10 quail eggs set to hatch tonight/tomorrow, the entire first clutch of my second breeding Buttonhen plus one of each pair of Coturnix, but the hatcher was off all night and the temp was at 69F when I woke up this morning. I hurriedly put them back in the 'bator (which, thank heavens, was plugged into a different power strip) but I expect I lost them all.
hit.gif
I opened the air cell on one of the Coturnix eggs, and there's no movement and the chick was very cold. I'm assuming they all are, but I'll leave them in there until Friday just in case.

It just annoys the crap out of me that she "turned the lights off to save power" without even asking if I WANTED them off (I didn't), and then, after not asking, turned the whole strip off instead of just pulling that one plug out or - again - ASKING what else was plugged into that strip or looking to where the cords went.

I'm very depressed and angry today. I've decided that my holiday gift to myself is going to be a female silkie, if I can find one local. I have 22 more button quail (thanks again, JustHatchin!!) and 8 more Coturnix eggs in the 'bator, but they're not due until 12/27. I have my two fuzzy butts from the last hatch. I should be happy about that but I'm just so very bummed and mad. I have no idea how to even deal with the guest. I don't think it's right to blow up at someone right before Christmas, but the sheer stupidity and inconsiderateness of it all sure makes me want to. I did tell her not to touch anything at all without asking me first.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!
-Spooky

I am so sorry.
sad.png
I can only imagine how upset that makes you. If they are all, indeed, dead, I think I would boil them and force her to eat Quail Balut....bet she would think twice before doing that again.

Aw, how awful!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Some people just don't get it.

Blowing up won't help. The houseguest doesn't understand at all why you're upset. You see dead babies and hard work lost. The houseguest just won't get that.

wow. just wow.

that's almost as good as my DH's grandma staying with my in-laws and 'offering' to clean out their fridge for them, since she felt it was too messy and crowded.

some people are 'trying to help' but don't stop and think that they are doing just the opposite.

maybe you can just be honest and tell her that she should be there to relax and have fun and all chores/responsibilities are for you and your family. thank her for the help and explain what happened. ask her to ask if she wants to help out at all.

hope your hatch makes it. Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Yes. I shrieked when I saw the thermometer, and then started crying when I saw the little dead one. She woke up and came out and asked what was wrong, which is when I found out she turned the power strip off "to save power".

sad.png

-Spooky

Quote:
I know, and I know to her, "They're just eggs." I also know I have SAD and that's probably contributing to the emotional roller coaster, but .. dead chicks
sad.png

I managed not to scream at her, I just told her not to touch anything without asking, and went to work.
-Spooky

I had a houseguest show up on my doorstep without being invited who doesn't like cats. She offered to find my cats homes so they wouldn't be a bother. I hope she enjoyed motel 6.
I imagine yours had no idea what she was doing unless you had specifically told her that the hatcher was hooked up to that strip. That doesn't make itfeel any better though.

Quote:
Thanks. I don't know how I'm going to make it through the week. I think it's a compulsive thing with her - she goes around turning the lights off. I have SAD, in the winter, I leave the lights on. She knows this. It's been less bad this year because with the quail in the house, I have a lot more full spectrum daylight bulbs going than normal, which I also said more than once to her.

I understand conserving energy, etc., and I'm as hippie as they come on most other subjects, but in the winter, the lights stay on.

I think I will have that conversation with her when I get home and am, hopefully, calmer.
-Spooky

Back
Top Bottom