Bad Incubators, now looking for a new one.

winterwolf4

Songster
Feb 17, 2023
Oregon
I am looking at getting a new inncubator. My husband wants the Rcom inncubator that holds 20 eggs while I want the brinsea inncubator that holds 56 eggs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBXXQNH?ref_=cm_sw_r_mwn_dp_9DF36D7N2J67BZY5T79R
I also have been reading reviews for the Manna Pro Nuture 360.

Which one is better?
Also what do you use for hatching after they go into lockdown?

New Question:
Can you tell me about hatchers? Next year I want to start selling chicks.

Last edited:
Nurture Right 360 is awesome and I love it. Easy to use, clean, etc. Cheap enough you could get two and use one for incubating up to day 18, and one for hatching in. I add shelf liner under the turner. NR 360 can incubate and hatch in the same setup, but doesn't work well for staggered hatches. It's designed to bring one set of eggs from start to finish, or as I said, you can keep it on Day 1-18 conditions OR you can keep it on Lockdown conditions. If you change from hatching conditions back to incubating conditions, you'll need to clean out the incubator first, and dry it out. It has two built in humidity settings (A for incubating around 40-57% and B for hatching 60-75%). To go back from B to A, you have to clean out the incubator and dump out all the water, wash it out, put it all back together, and refill only section A with water.

That being said, Brinsea brand is usually considered a step above the Nurture Right 360, although I've never used any of their machines myself. If it's better than the Nurture Right, it should be pretty awesome. Also the NR 360 only holds 22 eggs (I think you can force 27 in there if you turn 5 by hand and have them sitting on top of the turner, but best to stick to 22 unless you expect clears). So if you want to set 56 eggs at once in one incubator, NR is not the answer for you.

You can incubate and hatch in this RCom.
https://www.amazon.com/King-Suro-20-AUTOMATIC-INCUBATOR/dp/B00HV344L0
I have one. It's very reliable, but noisy. You have to prime the line for the humidity control and that takes a little while.
I also have an RCom 20 but you aren't supposed to hatch in it and it voids the warrenty.
I have an RCom hatcher too, it's manual but is cheaper.

Nurture Right 360 is awesome and I love it. Easy to use, clean, etc. Cheap enough you could get two and use one for incubating up to day 18, and one for hatching in. I add shelf liner under the turner. NR 360 can incubate and hatch in the same setup, but doesn't work well for staggered hatches. It's designed to bring one set of eggs from start to finish, or as I said, you can keep it on Day 1-18 conditions OR you can keep it on Lockdown conditions. If you change from hatching conditions back to incubating conditions, you'll need to clean out the incubator first, and dry it out. It has two built in humidity settings (A for incubating around 40-57% and B for hatching 60-75%). To go back from B to A, you have to clean out the incubator and dump out all the water, wash it out, put it all back together, and refill only section A with water.

That being said, Brinsea brand is usually considered a step above the Nurture Right 360, although I've never used any of their machines myself. If it's better than the Nurture Right, it should be pretty awesome. Also the NR 360 only holds 22 eggs (I think you can force 27 in there if you turn 5 by hand and have them sitting on top of the turner, but best to stick to 22 unless you expect clears). So if you want to set 56 eggs at once in one incubator, NR is not the answer for you.
Oh, also the NR 360 is VERY quiet. Extremely faint fan noise in the next room - I kept forgetting my NR 360 was on and wondering what my fridge or A/C was doing to make that very small quiet fan sound. Not that I'd recommend this, but you could sleep of watch TV next to it, and barely know it was there.

I haven’t used an rcom so can’t comment on that. I have a brinsea maxi advanced and a nr 360. Both get great hatch rates. I prefer the controls on the brinsea in that there is more precision in adjustability but like I said hatch rates were fine in both. I also really prefer the automated humidity control in the brinsea. But plenty of people are happy enough to fill reservoirs so that depends on if that’s an important feature. I think the design of the brinsea you posted would be nice to hatch in. I had an incuview which I hated to incubate in as I the temps were all over the place. But it had a bottom tray type design like which was nice for hatching as you could lift the lid without chicks immediately spilling over the side. In the brinsea advanced and nr 360 it’s a challenge to avoid escaped chicks and you have to be careful not to squish anyone replacing the lid. I have seen there is an aftermarket riser you can get for the 360 which solves that problem. It really is a good incubator for the price if automated humidity isn’t important.

Edit to add: I’m curious about your current incubator that’s gone bad. What are the specific areas your wanting to improve on?

I haven’t used an rcom so can’t comment on that. I have a brinsea maxi advanced and a nr 360. Both get great hatch rates. I prefer the controls on the brinsea in that there is more precision in adjustability but like I said hatch rates were fine in both. I also really prefer the automated humidity control in the brinsea. But plenty of people are happy enough to fill reservoirs so that depends on if that’s an important feature. I think the design of the brinsea you posted would be nice to hatch in. I had an incuview which I hated to incubate in as I the temps were all over the place. But it had a bottom tray type design like which was nice for hatching as you could lift the lid without chicks immediately spilling over the side. In the brinsea advanced and nr 360 it’s a challenge to avoid escaped chicks and you have to be careful not to squish anyone replacing the lid. I have seen there is an aftermarket riser you can get for the 360 which solves that problem. It really is a good incubator for the price if automated humidity isn’t important.

Edit to add: I’m curious about your current incubator that’s gone bad. What are the specific areas your wanting to improve on?
The incubator I have now is a styrafoam one. It spiked to 104 last time and killed all the eggs.

NR 360 :yesss:

I've had really good hatches. We recently got a second one to do the separate hatcher method. That way I can add eggs to the incubation one when I when want to.

The lid is a pain in the butt. Handles would help.

Not to say that Brinsea isn't great, I wouldn't know. They're just too expensive for me.

My husband also got one off of Amazon. That he needs to clean, I am not sure why he stopped using it.
Chickens and hatching chickw has been mostly his thing. But now I am getting into it.

Back
Top Bottom