Bad leg wound turning black and scaly leg mites

I think so too, no vet available to me unfortunately I have searched for one. I could attempt an amputation, I've seen them done, but I wonder if it's more humane to euthanize.
Do you know of an antibiotic that would help her? I've only used Tylan 50 before but my understanding is that is for respiratory infections.
I'm going to the feed store today to get an antibiotic and planning to do whatever I need to do tomorrow.
That's what I would do.

I think you're right. My hands are shaking so bad, I don't even know if I should wait out the night. I keep thinking maybe if I'd acted quicker this wouldn't have happened but her leg was bad to begin with, with the mites and then the injury. I can't believe it happened so fast.
Don't beat yourself up about it. These things happen to everyone. It's always hard, but in the end, you tried your best, and that's what matters:hugs

She might have got bitten by some venomous animal (snake, scorpions, spider) or she might have ingested something poisonous like ergot or similar.

Her legs are proceedingly necrotic and I do not know any means to stop this, unless you know exactly the cause to get some appropriate antidot in time.

Perhaps @Eggcessive can come up with an idea to help her.

Maybe someone could help me understand what happened?
I've never had mites get so bad so fast, she was the worst off to begin with but no one else got anywhere near her level. When I soaked her feet her skin peeled off like a glove, leaving them raw. I wrapped her whole foot and legs with triple antibiotic ointment. I feel like there must have been a bacterial infection in her skin in addition to the mites. I've never heard of a chickens skin just sloughing off like this.

She might have got bitten by some venomous animal (snake, scorpions, spider) or she might have ingested something poisonous like ergot or similar.

Her legs are proceedingly necrotic and I do not know any means to stop this, unless you know exactly the cause to get some appropriate antidot in time.

Perhaps @Eggcessive can come up with an idea to help her.
Maybe, there are only two species of venomous snake and two species of venomous spider here, although many have milder venom used for hunting. Maybe she has an allergy to a specific venom?
I don't know, whatever it is it happened fast, like scary fast.

Maybe, there are only two species of venomous snake and two species of venomous spider here, although many have milder venom used for hunting. Maybe she has an allergy to a specific venom?
I don't know, whatever it is it happened fast, like scary fast.
Copperhead snake bites are known to have necrotic effect causing severe damage to the blood vessels etc., so the skin peeling off would be normal :

1626383989406.png

http://copperhead-snake.com/

Copperhead snake bites are known to have necrotic effect causing severe damage to the blood vessels etc., so the skin peeling off would be normal :

View attachment 2761182

http://copperhead-snake.com/
The possibility crossed my mind, I was obsessed with snakes as a teenager. I would go out and look for them and fish them out of pool pumps, I used to beg my father not to kill them.
I've never had a copperhead so close to the house, they usually stay back in the woods and the birds are confined higher up. I haven't seen one in years as my neighborhood has gotten more developed, same goes for other snakes and the Box Turtles are gone all together.
But I do agree her injuries are consistent with copperhead venom and perhaps the damage from the mites concealed any puncture wounds to speak of. I'll give my coop and run a once over to be sure there's none around.

I decided to put her down, it's done.
Even when I went to get her her leg looked worse, more green and very swollen. I didn't even take off her bandages, it breaks my heart.
Thank you everyone for your advice and support, I'm routinely surprised by how amazing this community is, this is my first time on this side of it. I only hope I did the right thing.
This is my girl, Penny Lane, after the song.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210715-185455_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210715-185455_Gallery.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom