Bad leg wound turning black and scaly leg mites

It’s a tough decision either way.
I personally would put her down but I don’t want to push you toward it if you are feeling it looks better than in the pictures.
It doesn't look better. This will be the first bird I've lost in my five years of doing this.
I still don't know what I am going to do but what would be the best way to euthanize? I really really don't want to hurt her, and like I said there's no vet I could take her to. I'd prefer to bury her in one piece.

It doesn't look better. This will be the first bird I've lost in my five years of doing this.
I still don't know what I am going to do but what would be the best way to euthanize? I really really don't want to hurt her, and like I said there's no vet I could take her to. I'd prefer to bury her in one piece.
Cervical dislocation leaves a clean corpse and requires no tools. So sorry you're facing this decision.

There is another post on here about a chicken named Matilda, she had Frost bite on both of her feet. She completely lost 1 foot and a couple toes on the other but recovered and lives a full healthy life. It's your choice but I wouldn't give up quite yet :hugs

There is another post on here about a chicken named Matilda, she had Frost bite on both of her feet. She completely lost 1 foot and a couple toes on the other but recovered and lives a full healthy life. It's your choice but I wouldn't give up quite yet :hugs
I don't think frost bite and infections are quite the same. An infection will spread through her bloodstream towards her heart (I speak from experience), as opposed to frost bite with only kills the frozen tissue.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think this can heal itself. :hit

I’ve only had to put down one rooster due to a stroke and he was suffering, all signs he was giving was there was no chance of recovering. My brother-in-law was home from work and used an ax for me, if he wasn’t home, I would’ve done it to stop the suffering. I buried him in the backyard.
If you decide to bury her, sprinkle lime on her before filling in the hole, it helps speed up decomposition and reduces the smell so that predators won’t dig her up.

I agree with @BantyChooks, but if your nervous about having to do it with your bare hands, you could always use a gun. I am so sorry that we have to discuss this😥
I could always call my father to do it, then again he flat out refused to euthize one of my older birds two years ago when it looked like she might die (she ended up recovering though, still doesn't lay eggs and has a hard time breathing, but does pretty good for a six year old bird).
I'll look it up. Maybe I'll find a miracle.
I don't think frost bite and infections are quite the same. An infection will spread through her bloodstream towards her heart (I speak from experience), as opposed to frost bite with only kills the frozen tissue.

I hope that I am wrong, but I don't think this can heal itself. :hit
I think you're right. My hands are shaking so bad, I don't even know if I should wait out the night. I keep thinking maybe if I'd acted quicker this wouldn't have happened but her leg was bad to begin with, with the mites and then the injury. I can't believe it happened so fast.

Back
Top Bottom