Bad legs hard time walking

Thunderduck9

Songster
Dec 2, 2017
N.E. PA
I added 4 new Pekin babies from tractor supply,and one of them can barely walk mostly scoots around on her belly her legs just go out to her sides.they are about a month old what would be my best option to help her she is such a sweethear.I am extremely disappointed with tractor supply this year I have leg issues with three of the four we got one is so bow leged but seems to be managing the other is not as bad and gets around well. I’m just a little angry I also rescued 2 Kahki girls that were in hurendus shape from a owner they have never been fed anything except some chicken scratch and no house to live in so my one duck took them in and is teaching them they have no water proof in there feathers my one duck took them in the creek and showed them how to wash but they are like an old wet mop when they come out absolutely no water repellent feathers. They are now eating duck food have a real house and they cleaned up wonderfully and have become attached to my one duck and he really takes care of them so I’m sure they will have a great life like the rest of my little monsters.I’m guessing she just might be my special needs duck and i will have to pamper her.

Sounds like your ducklings need more niacin. Pekins especially sometimes don't get enough because they grow so fast. The best thing to supplement them with is liquid vitamin B - and start that ASAP. You can get this at your feed store or on Amazon. Hopefully you can reverse some of the condition they've developed if you get them started right away. It sounds like the one whose legs are going out to the side has splay leg. I had a pekin duckling with that condition two years ago. I used vet wrap to bring her legs into proper position and hold them there. I had her legs wrapped for at least a month and also was dosing with the supplement. She recovered fully!

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 4
Here is a video of my duckling after she'd been in treatment for a few weeks:
. I honestly didn't think she would be able to walk. She was our favorite duckling, and still is the family favorite. She made our Christmas card a couple years ago. For your duck's sake you should definitely treat her so she can have a quality life! Some ducks just require more niacin!

Back
Top Bottom