Bad molt and sick chicken. Can't stand up.

KLI

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I have a plymouth rock hen that is 20 months old going thru what I thought was a hard molt. She was shivering yesterday and it was in the low 30s. When she roosted I moved one of the other hens next to her. Now today she stayed in the roost all morning and I thought it was because she was cold. Just went to check on her and she can hardly walk. Trying to but seems the fall sideways. I brought her into the garage where it is warmer and gave her lots of hay in a cage and water. Made sure she was drinking. Also gave her some pumpkin because that is a favorite along with some feed. I attached some pictures you can see the feathers are just falling off her but she does have new coming in. Any advice is appreciated to help us thru this. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20211129_142628.jpg
    20211129_142628.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20211129_142606.jpg
    20211129_142606.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 9
What exactly do you feed?
What's in the dish that's in this cage right now?

Have you brought any other new to you birds home recently... Within the last few months?

She has Hen house select for feed. Otherwise she gets kent layer and feather fixer mix right now. I just gave her some cook egg that she gobbled up.

Nothing is new to my flock. All 10 hens have been together since March of 2020 (covid chickens).

Has she been a healthy hen up till now, laying eggs and active up until the molt? You can try giving some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet orally daily or crushing it in a small treat or a spoonful of water. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could she have been injured by a rooster or from a fall? Is either leg numb or have curled under toes? Keep her near food and water, and placing her in a dog crate inside the coop and kept with others is the best.

She has Hen house select for feed. Otherwise she gets kent layer and feather fixer mix right now. I just gave her some cook egg that she gobbled up.
I'm not familiar with these exact feeds... Are they a whole grain type feed?
Or are they a crumble or pelleted type feed?

Has she been a healthy hen up till now, laying eggs and active up until the molt? You can try giving some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet orally daily or crushing it in a small treat or a spoonful of water. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Could she have been injured by a rooster or from a fall? Is either leg numb or have curled under toes? Keep her near food and water, and placing her in a dog crate inside the coop and kept with others is the best.
She was fine before the molt started. Then she was losing feathers and not laying anymore but was out in the yard. Then yesterday I saw her shivering. Since most of her feathers are missing I thought it was just the molt. I bought her from a feed mill and I believe the chicks must be vaccinated. I will call tomorrow to find out for sure. No rooster not sure about a fall. Since it is going to be 20 degrees tonight I have her in my garage. It will stay about 50 degrees in there.

I am happy to say that treatment with vitamin b complex help her and she is back to normal. Took about 3 weeks. Started laying eggs a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for all your advice.
E5197A1E-72F2-4872-B70B-62214517F152.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom