Bad news about my show birds

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
somad.gif

In December I had a lot of problems with snow and predators. But I took a trio of Welsummers to a show and they won all kinds of stuff. Best Trio, Champion Large Fowl and Champion Continental. Well, after the show the dreaded raccoon attacked killing my Wellie roo and injuring my champion hens.
The hens seemed to recover with some treatment and I thought all was fine. The other day I took the hens out to see what was needed to get the ready for the next show coming up next month. My champion large fowl has a huge bald spot under some of her outer feathers that never grew back after the attack. I had treated her injury and puncture wounds, but thought for sure the feathers would grow back. They didn't. My champion Continental looked fine except her beak was over grown. I thought that was odd so I got her to help fix that problem only to find that half of her lower beak was missing.
barnie.gif
So, neither will get to go to the show.
hit.gif

I do have 6 pullets out of these hens that are almost 2 months old, so maybe they will be as good as their parents and be able to be shown in the summer. I can only hope.
I guess I will be taking bantams and ducks only to the show next month. I wish my wellies were in better shape. I know I could win something at least with them.
idunno.gif

Thanks everyone.
I was getting so excited about this next show and now I don't even feel like going. My son is so excited about showing his new call ducks though, so we will go for him. I am sure I will be bitten by the show bug again once we get back into the swing of things.
wink.png

awww, I'm sorry about your lost
sad.png
I had only 1 wellie hen last year and I adored her. Unfortunately she was attacked by my husbands hens
hmm.png
I still miss her. I do have one of her offsprings (a roo) but he's mixed and he's a little mean. I keep him around in hopes that he'll produce an offspring like his mother
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom