jjdward

How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
This is Susie:
30256_192.jpg

30256_copy_018.jpg

I have had her for about 9 years and she has been my buddy. She is the best cat I have ever had and she and I have been through A LOT!!!! She has been my "Wilson" like on the movie Cast Away!!! I have never been attached to an animal like I have her. If I had nobody else who cared, Susie did. She never let me down.

Well over the past 10 days she has lost a lot of weight so yesterday I decided to take her to the vet. At worst I thought she may have worms or a virus. After the vet examined her and did some blood work, he came back in and told me she had liver cancer and that he would be surprised if she lived a month. I was shocked!!!!! He said I could put her down then or wait and see how she did. I held it together until I got back in my truck and headed home. Then I lost it!!!!

I haven't been taking it well and it is all I can do to go to work and not think about it.I feel stupid for being a grown man that cries over a 8 pound cat but it just rips my heart out. I know I will have to make the decision to have her put to sleep and it will be so hard but at least she wont be in pain. Right now she is acting normal but I can tell that she kinda knows its coming.

If you don't mind, say a prayer for me and Susie. I think she is more at ease than I am.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry!
hit.gif
It has to be so hard trying to know when the right time is. As long as she doesn't seem to be in any pain and is eating I would keep her with you. You don't know how long that may be. The vet may say a month, but you may have her for much longer. I hope so. Again, I'm so sorry
sad.png

Get a second opinion first. You may not have to even subject her to another exam, just get the bloodwork report from your vet (ots yours, you are entitled to a copy) and have another vet evaluate it. There diseases that can look very similar. For something that might cause the loss of a loved pet, get another opinion.

I'm so sorry. After the way the way I bawled my eyes out after having my old dog put down my advice is to do it on a Friday and give yourself a couple of days before you have to go back to work.

My heart breaks for you and Susie. First, even if you completely trust your vet, get a second opinion. Find out any options. There may be none, but at least you've given her the chance. I had a 10 year old cat that was diagnosed with cancer of the spleen. When they removed her spleen that had a tumor the size of a quarter, they found a second tumor in her the size of a half-dollar. They told us, even with the surgery and meds, she'd probably have less than 6 months. Spoil her, and make her remaining time enjoyable was their advice.

She was with me until she was 21. I gave her meds for the first few years (prednazone and tagamet) until I figured it wasn't worth fighting her, she was getting OLD and it interfered with her quality of life. I had her euthanized when she no longer had control of her bodily functions and didn't appear to be enjoying life. She was a huge part of my life, and I miss her to this day. Even when they told us that she'd only have maybe 6 good months left, I felt blessed. I was blessed many times over to have her in my life 11 additional years.

I'm praying for you both. She will let you know when she is no longer happy to be in this life. Your Susie looks like my oldest cat now, Kahli (8 yo) - and I dread the day I may have to make the decision about her. Hugs to both of you!!!

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn26/busyblonde/Lesson 7/Petportraits046.jpg My Kahli

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I am so sorry
hit.gif
Enjoy her & spoil her. She will love it & you will too. Before doing anything, I would get a second opinion unless you totally trust you vet.

I know how hard it is to have to make such a tough decision about a beloved pet. We have had 2 wonderful pets that we had to put down. The first was our cat who had liver failure, and the second was our Zip Dog who had a fatal digestive disorder (can't remember the name).

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom