Bad odor from chickens breathe

dris73

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
Connecticut
My RIR has had this odor coming out of her beak when she breathes which sort of smells like old alfalfa or collard greens sort of a rotten smell. They do eat the greens as a treat a few times a week but noticed there is also the dried alfalfa mixed in with the straw. I started giving her ACV this morning. Any ideas of what it could be that's caysing the smell?
Thank you

Last edited:
Could be a fungal/sour crop I am thinking? I don't have experience with that though so take with a grain of salt. I would think you would be seeing signs of illness though like a large squishy crop. Not sure! You can search for sour crop on BYC and internet if interested. There is a Tilly's Nest article that is good.
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Another thing that causes bad odor is a certain respiratory disease- but you haven't described such a thing.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

It sounds like your hen has sour crop. I would be sure to check out the link that ChickensAreSweet gave you. Also, I'd recommend posting in the Emergencies section of the forum: Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

Good luck with her!

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will research sour crop since I've never heard of it.

I also just realized I posted in the wrong thread I just joined tonight :)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock"

I'm sorry to hear about your hen!
hugs.gif
I would post in the Emergencies section for some more good answers. Best wishes to you and your hen.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom