Bad Pip!

Thank you so much! I had no idea that it's like an early pip. It makes sense too, because none of the others have piped yet. I'll keep an eye on her. She's still moving and peeping, but hasn't made any other cracks. So should I not help her until tomorrow? She piped last night/this morning.

Badpip (1).jpeg She broke it open some more. There isn't any blood in the membrane, so I won't be worried if she ends up needing help. But so far she's managing. You can't see her beak in the pic, because it's at the underside of the egg. The only thing I'm worried about is that she is kind of banging her beak sideways instead of outward to zip (there isn't enough room). Do you think she'll be able to push her own way out?

View attachment 2230906She broke it open some more. There isn't any blood in the membrane, so I won't be worried if she ends up needing help. But so far she's managing. You can't see her beak in the pic, because it's at the underside of the egg. The only thing I'm worried about is that she is kind of banging her beak sideways instead of outward to zip (there isn't enough room). Do you think she'll be able to push her own way out?

Ah good it looks like she is starting her zip! She'll probably be able to push out fine now she's started but if she pauses for more than 5-10 minutes I wouldn't be afraid of just popping the narrow end of the egg off for her, it shouldn't hurt her at all. :)

She is definitely ready to leave, the shell is almost completely chipped off. All that's left is the membrane. I'm going to wait a bit to see if she can pull herself out before pealing the membrane back. I think it dried out from being exposed for so long, so it's harder for her.

Sometimes they hatch with raw navals. When that happens I just dab a bit of betadine on to help prevent infection. Antibiotic ointment with no pain killers added can also be used. The tissue that got stuck outside of the naval will likely stay there for awhile and dry up but it should eventually heal. It's not an uncommon problem, I usually don't have any issues with the chicks who have them (you'll want to make sure other chicks that hatch don't peck at it, by the time another hatches she'll probably have enough fluff to hide it though).

Congratulations on her hatching, glad you were able to help her! :)

this has happened to me before too. the first time i too helped early and he ended up dying. just yesterday though it happened again and i didnt help and it hatched just fine. i think they just take a little longer and can pull through on there own. but i am no expert!
Yup! Sorry for your loss. They usually can make it out fine. Just takes a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom