Bad plucking problem!! Urgent because I don't have much time!

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
My rooster was getting the feathers on his neck plucked but I didn't know who the culprit was until today. On Friday he got a beak injury so I separated him until this morning. As soon as he was reintroduced, two of my hens (Eclipse, ISA Brown. Galaxy, OE) started bullying him which included plucking his neck feathers! The rooster hasn't seemed to reach maturity yet so he isn't standing up for himself or anything.

The problem is I'm leaving this afternoon for a whole week and I can't think of any solutions!
Please help! And it can't be something that's super hard for a non-experienced chicken family member who will be caring for the birds while I'm gone.

My rooster was getting the feathers on his neck plucked but I didn't know who the culprit was until today. On Friday he got a beak injury so I separated him until this morning. As soon as he was reintroduced, two of my hens (Eclipse, ISA Brown. Galaxy, OE) started bullying him which included plucking his neck feathers! The rooster hasn't seemed to reach maturity yet so he isn't standing up for himself or anything.

The problem is I'm leaving this afternoon for a whole week and I can't think of any solutions!
Please help! And it can't be something that's super hard for a non-experienced chicken family member who will be caring for the birds while I'm gone.
My poor Roo was bullied by young RIR hens. He looked like a naked neck! I had to totally separate him from those bully wenches. He is too much of a gentle soul. All I can suggest is separating him & when I go away I set up vacation waters & feeders but with this hot weather that is tough. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion, but if you leave him in with bullies, he may not survive while you're away.

My sweet Casanova, a handsome Roo, he was literally plucked naked, his entire neck, & his comb flopped over, I thought he may not recover. I had to set him up indoors, in a 2x4 cage & nurse him back to health.

I put a tougher Roo, Jaylin, in with the RIR hens, he's a Wyandotte. The RIRs pecked his comb 1st day & he showed him who was boss, cuz now he has no peck marks at all.

The more gentle natured Roos need gentle natured hens. My Casanova is a sweetheart, he is in with Comets now & everyone is happy, not bullied & not pecked anymore.

Good luck to you!

20210504_114833.jpg 3047488-7b77583c59ad5e3112d18be54d939176.jpg 3047601-19659692535c94a7a15c38bfc654be2d.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest separating your cockerel while you’re gone and give him a chance to heal. If the two (hens? pullets? How old are they?) continue to pick on him when you put him back with the others, separate them for a couple of weeks.
They are pullets, nearing laying age.

Back
Top Bottom