Bad rooster day

Quote:
He used to post here a lot, but that's been a while ago and I can't find his postings anymore. His techniques for taming a rooster were basically catchign and holding them for a good half hour if you could while you walked around doing stuff. For really problem birds he recommended holding them upside down by the legs, but you have to be very careful becuase they can suffocate in that position. I've done that twice with mine, though he's almost to big now, and it's worked for a while. He did have trouble breathing while upside down.

Well he's still alive this morning. Keeping his distance from me and NOT charging the fence like he usually does. Just to reinforce the lesson I gave him a brief chase, but it's pouring down rain so my enthusiasm was not high.

Part of our issue probably is I have very little contact with them during the wek in the winter. It's dark when I leave and dark when I get home. My husband opens the coop and gives morning snack since he leaves a good 2 hours after I do. I change waterers and fill feeders, but after they are all in bed. In the summer there will be enough light to let them out for several hours each evening.

Quote:
He used to post here a lot, but that's been a while ago and I can't find his postings anymore. His techniques for taming a rooster were basically catchign and holding them for a good half hour if you could while you walked around doing stuff. For really problem birds he recommended holding them upside down by the legs, but you have to be very careful becuase they can suffocate in that position. I've done that twice with mine, though he's almost to big now, and it's worked for a while. He did have trouble breathing while upside down.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

Just wondering should you start with the domence training when they are very young? like as soon as you know they are boys or wait till they get older and start acting out? Stormy

I'm afraid I really think the whole 'rooster training' thing is a waste of time. Some roosters are mean, some aren't. It doesn't have much to do with how you raise them. Some breeds have more of a tendency to be aggressive, but it's simply a matter of dealing with a mean one if you have to keep it (by feeding from outside the coop, or being well armed!) or making soup.

I've had a worse time with Wyandottes and Sultans than other breeds. Some Cochins can be pretty nasty too, and I won't keep a RIR! Never had a mean Orpington.

Quote:
yuppers,, the faster you start,, the better,,, i treat them all the same anyways lol,, i still have "petting" time with all my roo's and hens,, but at certain times,, other then that,, im the roo of the yard, and just like them, i command respect from all from day 1.
wowz,, that sounds awful doesnt it hahaha ,, but not meant too
hmm.png
wink.png

Okay, for the record-Silver EE roos are evil!!! Every single one I've ever met was evil!!
In my experience, ignoring the boys until they are fully mature works really well. I did this with my frizzle boy, not touching him until absolutely necessary, until one day I needed a showmanship bird and I picked him up and he was an angel. Got a reserve champion!

Was talking chickens at a work function today and an older gentleman said last year his RIR roo attacked his 8yr old granddaughter. Had her pinned screaming in a corner. He ran out and grabbed a shovel to shove at the roo, but the bird wouldn't give up. Finally the guy reared backed and slammed that rooster with the flat of the shovel as hard as he could. He said the shovel rang like he'd hit a rock and the bird was lofted over a 6 ft fence. After he got his grand daughter calmed down and cleaned up he went to retrieve the carcass but it was gone.

Yep, you got it. The next morning the roo was strutting around the yard with just a bit of a limp. His resurrection didn't last long. The attack was the last straw. He was stew shortly after that.

Some folks say they have nice roos, I wouldn't want one. If ours didn't at least try to knock me out of the cat bird seat every week or so, I'd know he was sick. However, he's never so much as exhibited any of that sham tidbitting that signals his prep. for an attack (like a bull dragging a hoof) while we're sitting down and will nap between Cass and I on the deck before the flock goes to roost, they always show up to preen there before they make the sundown sortie to the coop.

We always wear mud boots when out back with the chooks and turks. This may not work for bantam roos, but ours can't quite get up to the knee. We keep the spur tips rounded off. If he is standing in front of me with his hackles out, I just bend over at the waist, and pick him up (don't squat) and carry him around. I never get into a position where my face is available for flogging (ID the roo's location, first). We never allow them out if the grandkids are here.

The most unlikely things can set a roo off (in my case a new pair of mudboots). Every so often, when he is foraging I take off after him just to let him know I know. He is a very good roo.

`pick me up!'
HackledOffA092707.jpg

hanging out and peaceable:
roosterGrok0707a.jpg

People kept telling me that OE Bantam Roo's are mean.... yeah-- right!
I have 2 that are BOTH spoiled rotten sweeties!
I end up with one on each shoulder, or one on my head and the other in the crook of my arm.... both making "happy-baby" noises.... they like everyone, and don't fight... but do get picked-on by the Silkie Roo's! The Silkies like to follow me around, but not to be picked-up... and the Aracauna Roo-- despite being hand-raised by me, is terrified of people!

Back
Top Bottom