Bad rooster got sniped.

Jun 25, 2017
So my rooster flew up and spurred me today, so I thought 'ya know what that's it' so I grabbed some sharp scissors and cropped his wings. (Don't worry I looked up how to do it correctly) now that his wings are cropped he can't jump up and spur me, go into our neighbors yard and kill his vegetables, go into our neighbors yard and attack his dog, or just leave our property in general but I have one question. Will he still be able to mate with our hens? I feel like he uses a great deal of balancing when it comes to getting on top of them. We do want chicks so I just wanted to know so when his feathers grow back I won't cut them off again if it does impair his mating abilities.

That shouldn't impair his mating ability... But spurring you SHOULD! :mad:

He will still be able to jump pretty high and spur you still, just maybe not in your face. It still hurts on the thigh even though it won't blind you. :smack

He can still use his wings to balance. Those were just flight feathers that were clipped and it just removes his lift.

Bad attitude breeds forward... Your boy NEEDS to get his head cropped. And then take a long hot soak in some aromatic veggies. :drool

At least he is protecting your ladies. But plenty of roosters protect their ladies without going after the giant that brings feed or the dogs. I realize you are already taking measures to protect your neighbor, but a blind or injured dog would be cause for a dead chicken and some neighbor issues.

I sincerely suggest growing out and selecting or finding a BETTER rooster than a stupid one you can't turn your back or have to worry about attacking you, That's NO way to enjoy chicken keeping. :(

His flight feathers may grow back in when he molts. Not likely before that.

The meaner the roo, the sweeter the stew! ;)

Glad clipping went well for you, it really can help with containment. I don't expect any change in behavior from him regardless of effort on your part, from the description... Hope you stay safe and things stay smooth with the neighbor! :fl :)

This is actually the first time in a long time he has attacked me. I've been dominating him pretty well and he's been terrified to even be around me. Whenever I walk outside he just up and leaves the hens to me. I clipped them as punishment and so he wont go into our neighbours yard. Don't worry if he was that mean he would have been in the pot a long long time ago. :lol:

separate if you can grab him again take a dremel with a cutting head or us a drill with one
cut the talon/spur off so he is unable it will not grow back if he is a rooster full grown
the sped they cut there so be no blood loss it cauterize it take a tiny bowl of flour with if you worry

This is actually the first time in a long time he has attacked me.
Seems to me... the writing is on the wall. A repeat offender will likely step up again... very often to your back. :confused: Accept it or not... that's aggression, directed at you. :hmm

Biting with their beak and flogging is still painful and could even be dangerous. If you have to cut a roosters spurs off, maybe not worth keeping him. Well, definitely NOT to me. :)

put him in a small cage for a while if you cant use a pot. it will adjust his position in the hierarchy. a month or two, or permanent if he is out an hour before dusk and moved back to his cage each night. keeps eggs fertile. it reconditions the rooster, especially if you put food in the cage in small amounts rather than leaving it in there.

dont bother clipping wings, it is easier to hold the base of the spur in pliers and give it a wiggle. It just slips off like the lid of a pen. the inside looks like the outside but is somewhat softer for a while and they seem to get smaller with repeat removal. Amazing part is no pain and no discomfort for the rooster who regularly leaves these shells stuck in your head or in whatever predator he likes to discourage. read the word likes. he likes to discourage.

The roosters lot in life is not pretty because all his endearing qualities are shared by most of his sons and brothers, so give him away to someone who can gobble him up if you cannot. There will be more Roosters, like air and bad music it is a rule of the universe that there will be more Roosters.

Roosters raised handfed do not consider humans as predators. when food is hoppered and available at all times they see nothing useful about humans.

I had a pretty one given to me, so didnt want to kill it, it was a pain to the neighbors, gave him away with two hens to someone who wanted chooks, they have a bigger place, happily ever after

Back
Top Bottom