Bad Vent Prolapse Need Help! Graphic Pics

ninejw

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
ct ri border
I have a year old BLRW who passed a oversized egg yesterday and then today has a huge vent blowout. She has only been laying about 2 months. I've never dealt with this before. Was reading some other threads and tried the following: I cleaned the tissue and then tried applying honey then shoved it back in again and held it for a while. But she just kept bearing down to the point of coughing and forced it back out again. Then, 15 mins later I tried a hemorrhoid cream and she pushed it out again. Did this 3 times and she will not keep it in. I don't feel egg in there but who knows. Gave her some calciboost (liquid calcium) in her water and let her go to sleep for the night. I am lost for what to do and sad cause she is my only BLRW hen and just started laying
sad.png
Is there anything else I can do. I'm hoping that I don't have to put her down. TIA

Note: she is not bleeding her tissue is just really red but there is actually 2 masses one which is more rough on the left and the big red one.

13034_picture_003.jpg

13034_picture_001.jpg

Clean her up (sitz type bath works well) and smear the prolapse with prep. h if you have it. If you don't have any then you can sprinkle (heavily) reg. white sugar on it after lubing the prolapse with some vaseline and gently try to push it back in. It may not go back in right away, so don't force it too much, just gently try to get as much of her back where it belongs as you can. Once your done put her in a dog crate (or whatever you have) in a quiet warm place. You'll want to keep it dark or at least dim to help discourage laying. Sometimes it takes a few days and a few treatments and sometimes you just can't fix it, but it's not hopeless so it is worth trying.

ETA: Sugar draws the tissue in much like prep. h. I don't know why it does that, but it really does work even though it sounds weird.

Last edited:
Sorry about your hen. Kittymomma is right. If you can get it to go back in, ice will also help in the swollen tissue and keep her in the dark. Good luck, I hope she heals.
fl.gif

This information was so helpful to me. One of my hens just did the same thing. I really had no idea what to do. Good luck with your hen.

We have a hen that several times had a bad prolapse shortly after she began laying. We put her in a warm bath to clean things off, then sprinkled all the exposed tissues with sugar. Each time it went back in on its own and stayed in till the next time. That hen still eats several times as much oyster shell as the other hens now, and hasn't had a prolapse in a couple months.

I hope your hen is doing better now. If the warm bath and the sugar don't help, and lots of calcium supplementation doesn't help, you may have to cull her so she doesn't continue to suffer. We decided with our own hen that if she prolapsed again after I believe it was three or four times, that the kindest thing to do would be to cull her, but fortunately we haven't had to do that.

One thing we think may have contributed to her prolapse, though we don't know for sure, is that each time she did prolapse, it was within a few minutes of her being picked up, so we just don't pick her up anymore. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but it seemed connected. She would actually prolapse before laying sometimes, and the egg would be soft shelled.

I do hope she's doing better now, poor thing. Looks terribly painful!

Back
Top Bottom