Bad weather has taken a toll on my new chicks...

MysticScorpio82

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Maine, USA
Blargh. I was so excited for my very first chickens. I ordered 14 Buff Orpingtons from Ideal, and it took less than 24 hours for them to reach from the time they were shipped. Unfortunately the element (weather) was NOT on my side. The chicks when from 90-100 degree weather in texas to 50-60 degree weather here in Maine. Needless to say I had 5 dead chicks in the box, and one that I couldn't save.

So I started yesterday with 8 of my 14 chicks.
Then I was foolish enough to listen to the sales man at TSC and my FIL (who raised chickens for years) when they told be 125 watt bulb would be warm enough for the chicks, instead of listening to my instincts that were saying "I think we need a warmer bulb", so I woke up to 3 more causalties
he.gif
. I am now on my second day of chicken ownership with 5 chicks of the 14 I had planned on. I need re-order some more because I alread have several people who are planning on buying eggs from once they start laying. (I already had Ideal just credit me for te 6 that died from shipping, because the weather next week isn't supposed to be better and I don't think the replacments would have made it.)

Well thank you for letting me vent. Anyone have a hatchery to recommend that doesn't have a minimum that is alittle closer to Maine?

**Note: Ideal was wonderful to deal with, they were very kind and considerate, and I will order from them again in the spring, but not this time of year**

Last edited:
i raise mine with a 125 watt i either lower or raise it depending how much ehat they need....
sorry to hear about your loss

I'm so sorry! I hate losing babies.

I also have had success with a 125 watt bulb, but it really depends on the temp of the room and the size/type of brooder... I found that I needed 2 125-watt bulbs in late fall, but only 1 in late summer. (And that in relatively mild northern california.)

Don't know where My Pet Chicken ships from, but I do know they include a little heat pad and some gro-gel in the pack, so you can order just a few chicks and they'll be kept nice and toasty. They charge more for this, but it might be worth a shot.\\

good luck with the survivors!!

Thank you. I guess I keep the house a little too cold for the 125 watt bulb to keep up with, lol. I am pregnant and get hot very easily at the moment. I am looking into MyPetChicken, thank you farmergal!

do you have a heat lamp? a red one? that works really well and you can adjust by raising or lowering. also make sure they are in a draft free area - we use a big plastic tub with a window screen for a top (dont get it too close to the heat lamp!) that can also help you with the temp reg.

if you cant tell if they are too hot/cold by where they are under the lamp, use your kitchen thermometer to make sure its staying about 95*. it sounds like they might need a boost - do you have any yogurt? gave them a couple spoonfuls with their feed...

are they drinking? add about a tablespoon of sugar to their waterer (warm water to dissolve)

and try not to handle them too much.

thats the best advice i have - good luck!

Sorry to hear about your losses. Do buy the red 250 heat bulb it will make a big differeance for you. I too tried something else and knew that day I needed more. Went out bought that buld first day and chicks did great. I have since turned it off since mine are now 4 weeks old and fully feathered and house temps are at 75 most of the time.

But for you there is no other way to go you have enough chicks and temps in house are too cold for anything else. Good luck on new batch and the ones you have now. BTW the bulb is $10 here where I bought mine.

I have a 125 watt red bulb and a portable heater with a fan blowing in to help maintain temp. Who would have thought anyone would need a heater at the end of june!
barnie.gif

i won't buy from mypetchicken. for the price of shipping OMG! lol. anyway, i use a 100 watt or 90 watt at first(i don't have a big brooder either ) and the i go down to a 67 watt and then i turn it off on warm nights and slowly turn it off more and more. so... how high did you have the light? i don't use red lights. i figure i have been doing it for 4 years or so with regular bulbs, why change now? good luck and sorry for your losses:(

Sue

Back
Top Bottom