Bad with the Good...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SunAngel, Dec 6, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    There are definitely highs and lows in the chicken world!!

Yesterday I was extremely excited as I counted the eggs collected for the day...10...my largest amount since getting chickens 7 months ago. Which put me over 32 eggs for the week! So cool! (still none from my Easter Eggers though, as they are making me wait forever for the pretty green eggs)

This morning I let all my chickens out and discovered my 11 week old blue Cochin had one eye swollen shut. No signs of a 'cold', so I am wondering if maybe it got pecked or scratched (not sure what to do for it...might have to consult the Emergencies section).

I headed over to the bantam coop to let them out and noticed that Sadie wasn't moving much or wanting to go out. She had sounded a bit raspy when breathing the last 2 days, but she had no other symptoms. Eyes were clear, throat and mouth looked fine, didn't feel any eggs in her, no mites, no discharge from nose. I added Electrolytes to their water and hoped that would help. I gave her a Tylan50 injection this morning around 7am and put her back in the coop under the heat lamp. I went back out to check on her at 11:30 and she had died. I am semi worried about the rest of my bantams now, but they seem to be fine so far.

This was Sadie....she is my first adult chicken loss [​IMG] She was a sweet chicken and will be missed.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sorry to hear about Sadie, she sure is pretty in the picture.

Congrats on all the eggs! [​IMG]

3. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks! I am really excited about the eggs. My chickens quit laying a few weeks ago, I was afraid I wouldn't get any eggs all Winter!

If one of my chickens had to die, I certainly could have picked one of my really witchy ones to go instead of Sadie! I think she was just a barnyard mix, so I can't even replace her!

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I hope all others will be well.

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thank you. I have my fingers crossed, definitely!

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    So sorry to hear about the loss Deb. [​IMG] Did I tell you we got a white leghorn? We found her along the road by a commercial chickenhouse. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by