Badly impacted vent.

favoritekitty

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
This poor girl has been soaking in the tub most of the afternoon. I finally took her out and she is sitting next to the fireplace. This is not just poop obviously. I tried a stream on it, soaking, sponging it, and trying to pick at it and I dont know what is skin and what is yuck. As you can see in the picture, it seems to me as on the left side of her vent her skin is damaged so I cant just pick away because I think its her skin. Im assuming the center is part of her internal organs. The yellow parts are hard, spongy. Will dried yoke do that or is this dead tissue? Should I try to pick that yellow off? She has eaten and had water but Im so afraid its just going to make her go to the bathroom more! How long can you soak a chicken before you assume that you arent going to be able to help her?

Picture344.jpg

hu.gif

ouch! that look painfull!
it looks like a prolapse to me, i think that you should pick of the bits and then you would get a better picture of what is going on

Hopefully someone with experience will jump in to help you. Maybe change the title to "HELP....Prolapse Vent" graphic photo.
The closer I look at the photo...the more it looks like dead tissue. But, I'm not a chicken nurse! I would be careful picking the area since it could cause bleeding.

From here it looks like a prolapsed vent with egg stuck to it. How long did you soak her? i would think a nice long soak, 10 minutes or more in warm water, would release some of that substance. Once you get it off, gently push the insides back in using vasoline or KY Jelly. You can rub some Prep H on the outside to help shrink the area down. Also, my vet has used cool sugar water on my hen's prolapse to shrink the tissue down also. i wouldn't pick too hard at the substance. You don't want to accidentally pull skin off.

Oh, just remembered. My vet told me to soak my hen's prolapse in warm water with epsom salt and sugar in the water. Try that.

Last edited:
Try preperation H and keep her in a dark place so she won't lay. It may take a couple doses of it to work. Also they say sugar help reduce swelling. Mine was egg bound with a prolapse outside the body. After a few day's the dead skin came off and she seems to be fine now. Not sureif she's layed an egg but it's been a couple of weeks.

I concur with others advice... I had this happen and my husband held the chicken in the warm water in the kitchen sink while I carefully peeled away all that mess. Some will be attached to the prolapsed vent but I had to get the egg out and I didn't want to leave anything in there to cause infection. There was some minor bleeding but really the worst part was hunching over the sink doing something you never knew you would do!

When you get the egg out the vent will be pretty far prolapsed so yes use vaseline and/or prep H and put it back in. Definitely put her in the dark so she doesn't try to lay. You will need to push the vent in a couple to 4x a day and then it will lessen until she is ready to join her sisters in about a week.

Good Luck. My old farmer friends laughed at me when I told them this story; they couldn't believe we didn't just eat her.

PS - I cut back her feathers to make it easier to tend to her.

This truly is egg bound with prolaps. the soaking is good, try to remove as much of the egg material - fecal material as you possibly can very gingerly , the soaking can help but the prolaps may need to be tended by the vet if it doesnt resolve itself when you remove the egg material, It will be a bit of a painstaking undertaing carefully use tweesers and bit by bit remove shell and material , it will get infected if you dont.hopefully the intestines will right themselves as the material is removed. It looks like she has an egg behind this as well like a bit of a pile up so if you can get it into sight you can break the shell and slowly carefully remove the shell and contents do not move fast a shell can damage internals break it off in peices if you have to.

A possiblity it could be a tumor but doesnt look like it, there appears to be egg material

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help everybody! I did got a lot of that egg mess off since yesterday. I have soaked her many times since yesterday as well. After her bath last night we put some Prep H all over that mess. She has been eating and drinking well, thankfully. I gently tried to push that mass back in and it didnt budge. Im so afraid to put any pressure! Do I push it in a certain direction? Downwards, upwards? The swelling certainly has gone down since yesterday.

P.S. She has been going to the bathroom and you can see that its coming out at the very top, right of that bulge. You think there is an egg there? Oh my gawd, Im going to have to go in there, arent I? O_O

Back
Top Bottom