Badly infected leg on rooster, please help!

Paule

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2020
Hi,

F91D28B5-380D-42CB-87C2-53D7364289A0.jpeg
584EDA86-D37C-4DCE-97BD-0EF12D6E35DA.jpeg
78721620-5F8C-44B1-8E09-F97F71BBF37F.jpeg
0395B3F3-9509-4779-B9E6-F96E365D5A85.jpeg
37615FB9-9AD6-4602-89CD-83A64160FFD9.jpeg

I am housesitting and don’t have a lot of chicken caring experience. I don’t know the age of the chickens or much about their health background.

The rooster has a badly infected leg and is swelling by the day and the foot and leg are noticeably hotter than the non injured leg. He is still walking but limps.

Two young roosters were removed nearly a month ago and my guess is that he got injured fighting them and his wounds went undetected for some days. He also has scabs on his comb and a healing puncture wound on his thigh.

I noticed lots of scabbing around the foreleg a couple of weeks ago. I have been applying warm compresses, cleaning with hibaclense, then applying iodine and polysporin under nonstick gauze and vet wrap. He’s not getting better!

I can’t afford a vet, they’re not my birds. I can’t get in touch with the owner who is on a boat in the Caribbean. I read about using fish antibiotics, is this possible? Are there any pain meds I can give?

I feel overwhelmed! Help!

Thank you,
Paulé

Sounds like you're doing the cleaning and topical treatment well.
Tho the bandage is not necessary, better for it to get air.
This treatment has been going on for a couple weeks?
Can the bird walk....is he eating and drinking and pooping ok?
I assume you have it separated?

I know nothing about antibiotics.

You should bring him inside put him in a dog crate or something similar. You'll need to keep an eye on his condition and monitor his ability to eat, drink, and poop. His leg is definitely infected.

This looks like he might have had a leg band that got too tight and possibly caused some swelling. He may have pecked at it himself or had it injured by another chicken or rooster. What you are doing with cleaning it is good. I would probably soak his lega in warm soapy water daily for about 20 minutes. Then dry them and apply the antibiotic ointment or antiseptic cream. I also would leave it open to air without a dressing. Keep him separated on clean towels or pads.

I should add that the house I’m staying in is a tiny house and there is an indoor cat. I don’t see any crates that I could keep him in. Keeping him indoors would be quite challenging!

He seems to be eating and drinking.

You can trim the sharp tip with a dog nail clipper or a file. Is there a place to keep him separated outside, in a garage or a basement? I would bring him inside at least for the soaking unless you are somewhere very warm right now. Where are you located?

I should add that the house I’m staying in is a tiny house and there is an indoor cat. I don’t see any crates that I could keep him in. Keeping him indoors would be quite challenging!

He seems to be eating and drinking.
Yes, that would be difficult indeed.
Is he being picked on at all?
What is your climate?

Back
Top Bottom