Badly infected leg on rooster, please help!

I keep Baytril 2.5% on hand for emergencies! It is for gram-positive bacteria strains though, and I'm no expert on the types of bacteria commonly present for wound infections, just to be clear. It is available without a prescription here: https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-2-5

It's a little pricy, but enough for probably 3 2-week dosages at least! You just need to weight the rooster and dose according to package directions, and instructions say you can double the dosage for severe cases, so your risk of over calculating the dosage and causing harm is relatively low because of the high margin for error.

I've used it with success for bumblefoot, but haven't so far had any wounds infected. His wound is unlike anything I've seen! If I were in your shoes I probably would consider antibiotics just to err on the side of caution.

You're such a kind soul to invest yourself for this rooster! I wish you both the best of luck. You've gotten a lot of great advice, I just wanted to share my source for antibiotics incase you needed a backup option.

Back
Top Bottom