Badly wounded hen! Need some advice please!

mrshendrick

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 30, 2013
Abilene, Texas
Yesterday afternoon, one of my one month old hens was viciously attacked by our little d'Uccle bantam - by the time I found her, the feathers and skin from the back of her neck had been eaten away. It's horrific looking!! We brought her inside and set her up in the bathtub, put out food and water laced with antibiotics and hoped for the best. I assumed she would die, but this morning she was happily perched on the side of the tub and seemed ok, if a little confused. The wound looks nasty - it's no longer bleeding, but it's just so open and raw. Is there anything I can give her for pain? She is trembling, and I'm sure it hurts! Should I cover the wound, and if so, with what? I didn't want to mess with it last night, as she was so traumatized and seemed to be in shock. She's my favorite hen and I'm just wanting to help her in any way I can!

Last edited:
Well, since nobody cares, I guess it's good that I trusted my instincts and treated the wound with a colloidal silver since, aloe vera juice, and triple antibiotic ointment. I've kept it loosely bandaged with gauze and am changing it frequently and reapplying the silver and ointment on open places when I change the dressing. There are antibiotics in her water, along with colloidal silver and some ACV. I would really appreciate any advice - this is my favorite hen, my vet's office is closed until Monday, and I'm totally winging it here.

Sorry, I JUST NOW saw your post & we do care. Sorry about your baby. You might try gently rinsing the injured area 2-3 times a day with a weak solution of warm water & Epsom Salt & then putting an antibiotic on the wound & keep her warm & quiet. This is what I was told to do by my vet for one of girls that was attacked by dog.

I too have just seen your post. I know it's frustrating when you don't know what to do and are looking at a nasty injury. It looks like you are doing all you can, though. Though I'm no expert, I have dealt with a couple nasty wounds on my girls. The last poster gave the same advice I would have....I just wanted to add that it's amazing what chickens can recover from. Keeping her warm, quiet, and the wound clean should really help. That and applying a triple antibiotic or equivalent ointment until healing is complete is sometimes all that is needed. How does she seem today?
By the way, Is collidal silver the same ointment that is used on burns?
I hope she is doing better!
and Welcome to BYC!

oops, sorry. Just reread your first posts. Is this colloidal silver a liquid that is put in water? I was thinking of silvadene ointment that is used on burns. I'm not familiar with colloidal silver....don't mean to sound dumb...but what is it?

Oh, and I should also say...if the injury is super deep and the muscle layer is exposed, you may need to have a vet look at it tomorrow. Or if she starts to not be interested in food, and acts lethargic, wound does not show signs of improvement, etc... Just common sense stuff. Best wishes for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery!

I have had several chickens survive dog attacks I used gentian violet on their wounds one chickens entire back was gone and she regrew new skin gradually, it took months, she had a dime sized scab left to heal but passed away d/t coccidiosis which will flare up when they are stressed. If she is eating and drinking put vitamins and electrolytes, and antibiotics in the water. Good luck.

Give her antibiotics, and ask a vet about the pain- I had a quail hen cut open her head down to the skull- it was horrible, she got caught on some wire and ripped all the skin and muscle off! -but we washed the cut out and put antibiotic cream on it daily and she was fine.
Good luck!

Sounds like you are doing very well. Keep the bandage loose to avoid a warm moist environment (that will encourage infection) and keep her indoors away from flies that could lay eggs in the wound. Hopefully tissue will gradually granulate in. That takes a long time, but you can't stitch a wound that was "dirty" closed without a high risk of infection. Good luck to you and your baby.

Back
Top Bottom