Bag of scratch grains looks funny...

Birdydeb

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
In a valley between the mountains
I just opened a new bag of scratch and fed it twice before I realized it looked funny. It looks all powdery and broken down. Even the corn in it is crumbly. I first suspected bugs in it but I can't find any bugs in it. Would you all feed it anyway? Also don't see any evidence of mold....just crumbly and powdery. The other bags I used did not look like this...corn, oats, etc were easily distinguishable. :(

I just opened a new bag of scratch and fed it twice before I realized it looked funny. It looks all powdery and broken down. Even the corn in it is crumbly. I first suspected bugs in it but I can't find any bugs in it. Would you all feed it anyway? Also don't see any evidence of mold....just crumbly and powdery. The other bags I used did not look like this...corn, oats, etc were easily distinguishable. :(

It's probably a bag from the end of the production run, like when you get to the bottom of a box of cereal and there's all the dust at the bottom of the bag. I usually feed bags like that in a mash form or add it to my fermented mix because the dust just makes them cough and just gets wasted

Just add water to make a mash? I haven't done fermented feed....yet. Would hate to waste a whole bag....:/
for sure I don't like to waste feed either. If you put a days portion into a bucket and add water to about a half inch from the top, it'll absorb it quickly like flour and then feed to your birdies, mine love both and I rarely ever feed any feed dry.

Post a picture on here. Empty the bag, the bugs could be on the bottom. It should look similar to my purina scratch grains. Return if it doesn't GC
Click on photo to enlarge

Back
Top Bottom