Bag pipes

A word of advise, do NOT stay in the 24 x 24 foot room with 12 bagpipers............just ear shattering practice! You could feel the walls vibrate! I had to leave quickly after 30 seconds of them playing. My ears rung for a little while and I know later they all laughed about it.

For Carol's Clucks -

No pictures, I don't want to leave evidence, the local bagpipes corps are already looking for me...

But imagine yourself playing your Kazoo, and then sticking the rubber chicken's mouth over the other end. And don't blow, hummmmmmm.

To those of you who really like bagpipes, I must say, I do like them too, but only outdoors. Indoors they frighten me. They were meant to be an instrument of war, to terrify the enemy as the wall of bagpipes led the army over the crest of the hill. We in the US got drum and bugle corps, the Scots got the pipes!

I remember being at a meeting, in a huge classroom divided by one of those pleated partitions. There was another meeting going on in the other half of the room. Our meeting opened with a gentlemen in full regalia playing Amazing Grace on his bagpipes, 6 verses. The meeting in the next room necessarily came to a halt, until the serenade was over. Then the moderator, of the meeting, an Inupiat Eskimo from way up north said, "Where I come from, we don't do that to ducks."

(The pipes were excellently played, by the way, and inadequately appreciated by the group in the other classroom.)

Oooh--I LOVE the bagpipes! They are awesome. I wish I was Scottish.
hmm.png

I took bagpipe lessons for a few months. It was difficult for me as I didn't really know how to read music. It was fun, but it is a challenge. You definately start on a chanter. That is like a Recorder from elementary school. It helps you get the fingering down before you even pick up a bagpipe. I learned through the NC State Pipe Band in Raleigh. I'd like to try it again someday.

Kilt is not required, but I own 4, so I feel I should learn the pipes.
smile.png

When I lived in CA there was a guy who would play Amazing Grace at the Christmas services at our church. It was absolutely beautiful. He dressed in the kilt and everything including the big furry hat and walked down the center aisle to the alter. Just thinking about it makes me emotional.

Quote:
No you don't LOL! However if you want the gals to like you even more, kilts do attract them a mile away besides sheep LOL! Make sure if you do buy one, or have one made, to measure CORRECTLY!

I have seen awful sights of huge beer bellied guys ( come on, wear the ancient great full kilt instead of the show modern kilt!), chicken legged men that wearing trouser dress socks instead of the kilt socks. Tshirts can be worn particuarly if it is a HOT day.

LarryJacobite.jpg

my neighbour has one. I forget when he picked them up, but he's been going at it on weekends for years now. you hear the lovely notes of The saints go marching in floating over the fence on a nice Saturday afternoon...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom