Bagle hounds (beagle basset mix)

docteurshepherd

Songster
Nov 23, 2020
My Coop
My Coop
Hello!! Just wanted to start a thread to see if anybody else has a "bagle hound" and if they would be kind enough to share photos and/or stories. :) Just bassets and beagles are great too!

Basically why I started this is I love beagles, I have a beagle basset jack russell terrier mix I saved years ago and then we had some more beagles we rescued. One was dumped, we found the owner but they strangely didn't want it and asked us to keep it.. then another was our neighbors, he got sick and moved to be with family, and asked us to take his. Both passed away in the last few years due to old age and I decided I'd look into getting another. Normally I'd be all for rescuing. Kipper was a dog I literally saved his life too. I'm very rural and haven't had much luck though. Local shelter only has pitbulls, and any beagles they do get on rare occasion are usually just old hunting dogs that aren't housebroke :( Then I saw a post of somebody selling beagle/basset puppies, so tomorrow will be going to have a look :)

again please don't judge, I've rescued so many animals over my lifetime it's not even funny, given lots of senior animals a place to stay when they haven't anywhere else to live out the rest of their days happily with lots of love. Let's have this be a happy non judgemental thread full of puppy stores n pics :love

I had a Basset. She was a fun dog but, like most hounds, her brain was in her nose. She learned how to open the drawer where the kitchen garbage can was kept. I would come home to fine the drawer open, the plastic trash bag pulled out and trash all over the living room floor. Although her legs were short, her body was long, and by standing on her hind legs she could reach things that were too close to the edge of the kitchen counter. I lost a pound of hamburger I had left out to thaw, a pound of butter, and a loaf of bread before I learned my lesson. She would snack in the cat's litter box. I solved that by getting a top entry litter box that the cat could get into and she couldn't. She would catch a scent, follow her nose and be gone for hours. This last is why I rehomed her. She had no sense about traffic and I just knew she was going to get run over. She is now living with a friend in another state who has a fenced yard. She is a sweet, loving, funny dog. I miss her but she is a lot better off where she is now than with me.

I had a Basset. She was a fun dog but, like most hounds, her brain was in her nose. She learned how to open the drawer where the kitchen garbage can was kept. I would come home to fine the drawer open, the plastic trash bag pulled out and trash all over the living room floor. Although her legs were short, her body was long, and by standing on her hind legs she could reach things that were too close to the edge of the kitchen counter. I lost a pound of hamburger I had left out to thaw, a pound of butter, and a loaf of bread before I learned my lesson. She would snack in the cat's litter box. I solved that by getting a top entry litter box that the cat could get into and she couldn't. She would catch a scent, follow her nose and be gone for hours. This last is why I rehomed her. She had no sense about traffic and I just knew she was going to get run over. She is now living with a friend in another state who has a fenced yard. She is a sweet, loving, funny dog. I miss her but she is a lot better off where she is now than with me.

Thanks for telling your story, and no judgement. You're a good owner for thinking of her best interests. :) Sadly some people don't understand that it happens sometimes, sometimes it just doesn't work out and that doesn't make us bad people, it means we care about their well being honestly.

Hello!! Just wanted to start a thread to see if anybody else has a "bagle hound" and if they would be kind enough to share photos and/or stories. :) Just bassets and beagles are great too!

At one time I had 3 dogs: a beagle, a Basset, and a bagle! I’ve also worked in Basset Rescue and now volunteer with a hound rescue. Our last dog, Sam the beagle, passed away in September, and it still hurts. Hope you find what you’re looking for—hounds are wonderful souls.

Below is my heart dog Nellie the bagle in the foreground and Sam the beagle behind her. Miss them so much!

Attachments

• FD1E0620-AB1A-4E00-B6B1-A078EF35DE17.jpeg
    FD1E0620-AB1A-4E00-B6B1-A078EF35DE17.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 9
First of all, I live in the country and around my place is considered "dump your dogs and cat territory." I had a beagle that came to my house and ended up staying about 2007. The vet said he was about 5 years old when we got him. We ended up keeping him until he passed away in 2019(!) He followed his nose everywhere. He was also very food-motivated. He'd get pissed when you threw him a Skittle and he wanted an M&M. One time my dad brought home a pizza from work missing like one piece. He ate all but 2 pieces and being sneaky went around the garage and buried the last bits. The next day my dad let him out after getting home from work and he went to eat his pizza. Apparently some wild critter had dug his goodies out and ate them in the night. He thought my dad got rid of them and was pissed at him the rest of the day! lol

Also, he always crossed the road (looking both ways) to my neighbors' place where they threw their scraps in the field. As he got old, he lost his sight and hearing but not his smell. My neighbor said he came and got his fill of hot dog buns, then when he was full he took a mouthful home and buried them and ate them the next day. 🤣

He only had 2 bad days at the end and his last day I fed him a hotdog (we had a dog that took pills in them) then put him in his house and told him he didn't have to fight any more. The next morning I got up early to check on him and he was gone😢. I thought 17-18 years old was crazy old for a beagle! Glad you got to have his company when he was with you!

Attachments

• DSC_0207[1].JPG
    DSC_0207[1].JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC_0208[1].JPG
    DSC_0208[1].JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom