Bags of food stored out in the cold.

Leov

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
40 gallon Tupperware style container with bags of food. Can it be kept outside in the cold. We’re in the northeast. Will be inside an enclosed run. No animals will be able to get to it. Any thoughts? Their 5 gallon bucket of food is in the enclosed run all winter as well.
will make out life a bit easier

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    630.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 3
I do use bungee cords to secure down the top more but it’s not 100% sealed and yeah the bags inside are open because I have been feeding them from the bags. Maybe I should try to find a better type container that has a really better seal therefore I could just keep it in there throughout the whole year, actually it may not be good in the summer as it gets pretty hot out and that may not be good for the food either lol. Oye. I do have a shed closer to coop amd run. Maybe I’ll keep
It inside of there.

I keep my feed/scratch/etc in a big garbage can (Rubbermaid) on wheels year round. Nothing but my kids and I have ever gotten into them...an occassional chicken will jump up when I have the lid open, but they follow the feed back out pretty quick. Never had any issues.

I keep my feed/scratch/etc in a big garbage can (Rubbermaid) on wheels year round. Nothing but my kids and I have ever gotten into them...an occassional chicken will jump up when I have the lid open, but they follow the feed back out pretty quick. Never had any issues.
So that’s actually what I have but a longer shorter one which I attached to a dolly.
wait!! Are your saying you dump all the different feed together in the in the bin?? If so that’s a great idea. But it’s ok in the cold weather??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 4
So that’s actually what I have but a longer shorter one which I attached to a dolly.
wait!! Are your saying you dump all the different feed together in the in the bin?? If so that’s a great idea. But it’s ok in the cold weather??
No, I put the bags in the can for storage. It's an outside garbage can, hinged lid and wheels. It sits in the corner of my run holding the open bags of feed, scratch, cut straw for nest boxes, and in the summer, I throw my bucket heaters in the bottom. I have 3-4 cans that I have used in the past, but only have 1 in the run currently as I'm still slowly moving items from the coop I used 10 years ago to the much larger one we built this Spring.

I attached a pic from my outdoor security can, it just sits there year round to make filling feeders easier. I am in the middle of winterizing, that feeder is swapping locations with the water so I can reach the electrical outlets in the coop (above the coop in the second story of our weird 2-story shed that we converted).

Attachments

• A4B3A9AF-240B-4967-A7DE-2761D5245FDF.jpeg
    A4B3A9AF-240B-4967-A7DE-2761D5245FDF.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 4
So if your good with that type of container, which I wouldn’t think is vermin proof, I’m not spending 40.00 on a sealed food container either. I was also more concerned regarding spoilage in summer and freezing of the food in the winter. What I like about my set up is I don’t have to reach way down and I can have 3-4 50lb bags next to each other. It seems convenient but I was just concerned whether the elements might ruin the feed. A tall can like yours would definitely take up less space as it is vertical but I would probably have to be doing more lifting which would suck on my back!! Here is a pic of my double run with small coop in the back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 6DA24EAB-19DF-4BDB-91AB-051D2BB005F2.jpeg
    6DA24EAB-19DF-4BDB-91AB-051D2BB005F2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom