Baking Egg Shells???

Me too, Damselfish! I used to worry about them getting something they weren't supposed to have, but since they figured out how to get into the composter, they don't consider ANYTHING on the "do not have" list. Eggshells go in there (unbaked, uncrushed) onion peelings, citrus peelings, and the next day everything is GONE! No ill effects, no off-flavored eggs, and no egg-eating.

So maybe we worry too much.

yippiechickie.gif

I am new to chickens, they or she hasn't started laying yet (we bought 4 "hens" and three ended up being roosters, so I have to wait till spring to get more hens)... what exactly are you using the crushed egg shells for, are they in place of the oyster shell? and do you just sprinkle them?

I just throw mine in the microwave to help dry them out and kill any bacteria.

never had any problems here.

Quote:
For heaven sakes, Why? If you're feeding back the shells that came from your birds any organisms on or in them would be already in the birds and, as long as there are no signs of illness, they have built up immunity to it. I see no sense in making more work for oneself. I just crush them and toss them in with the other kitchen waste we feed to the birds.

Having a 25 year old Aga which is on 24/7 (yes even in the hottest of summer months as it is our only cooker) I always bake egg shells first.....they crumble better. I wouldn't suggest that anybody puts a stove or oven on just for shell baking though as the girls will eat them cooked or otherwise,

are they in place of the oyster shell? and do you just sprinkle them?

They are just a free source of calcium.

You don't NEED oyster shell if you're not having problems with thin egg shells, especially if you're feeding layer pellets, since they already have added calcium​

Back
Top Bottom