Baking soda and sour crop..

writerskramp

Songster
Oct 20, 2020
Added 1 tablespoon per gallon to the waterer.. One in particular was doing the something stuck in the craw dance.. I've tried before thee.. Bring them in the house.. Feed em' oatmeal and scrambled eggs. They recover but became reinfected.. had to put one down. SAD.. My daughter a vegan, my fault. It was a joke.. at four years old isn't.. She said, "You mean you are feeding them to themselves!" Okay.. So this time.. though it is probobly the other.. I put one table spoon of baking soda in their waterer.. No more sour crop.. She is eating. Running amuck and follows me like a puppy.. Egg production increased and shells are definetly stouter and heavier in weight.. and it is aproaching winter. I wouldn't do it all the time.. Something to do with salt content.. but it worked this time. Happy chick, happy life. Any thoughts?.. but no dreams or visions. I've already seen the writing on the wall. Thanks.

It's probably fine to do this every so often, but if you do it over the long term, you risk triggering gout in your chickens. There is also a tendency to loose stools. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1327426/
Thank you for that site.. answered my question. Commonsense rules once again.. I'll only use if and when symptoms occur.. is the plan. The lady is doing fine with normal appetite and her continued puppy like behavior.. Also saw the bit about fermented feed.. been doing two seasons now. Suspended last winter due to freezing, but have a large heated dog bowl I used for water last winter.. much better than a heated waterer. Just elevatated on a couple blocks. Will use it for the ferment this year and once again try a heated waterer. Fermented feed has lowered my feed costs by as much as 2/3rds.. No more naked molted chickens ever and no more shell-less eggs.. Give them scratch for a treat and to keep them from under feet when feeding or watering.. Scratch is the culprit with sour crop.. It's win win. Best

Fermented feed really pays off in a lot of ways. I've been feeding it for eight years, and it's amazing how much longer hens lay on it. My seven-year olds were laying regularly last season. It will be interesting if they continue as vigorously this upcoming laying season.

Fermented feed really pays off in a lot of ways. I've been feeding it for eight years, and it's amazing how much longer hens lay on it. My seven-year olds were laying regularly last season. It will be interesting if they continue as vigorously this upcoming laying season.
Only been doing it two season as mentioned.. but Chickens are at least five years old minimal.. maybe some seven or older.. They are healthier than ever.. Know someone with 12 - 14 year old chickens. I only lose the occasional.. One with a broken neck.. ? One Batum protecting her nest aggressively put down by the flock and buried.. I suspect a cover up. Few other newbies.. pecking order.. but all look healthy and of good color.. Introduced Jersey Giants and riots break out.. I blame the Jersey's, but all seems good thus far.. Thanks to fermented feed..

I'm one of those with very old chickens. My oldest is over twelve, and the eleven-year old produced a perfect egg this last spring. I have a couple of ten-year olds, too. I don't consider the eight-year olds and younger ones "old".

I'm one of those with very old chickens. My oldest is over twelve, and the eleven-year old produced a perfect egg this last spring. I have a couple of ten-year olds, too. I don't consider the eight-year olds and younger ones "old".
I get anyting from thirty eggs a day now down to one too two recently.. It's winter more or less.. Have something like thirty.. move around too much for an accurate count.. My grand kids drop off pullets every now and then.. Chicks are cute.. Pullets not so much.. One reason my flock continues to expand.. I'll let them all live to a ripe old age. It is the least I can do for all their contributions.. I'll never retire.. don't expect they will either.

Back
Top Bottom