Baladi Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CarolinaHen, Oct 17, 2013.

1. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Let's celebrate and improve our Baladi lines! The word "Balad" means village or a small town. Baladi - from the village / of the village. These are chickens that are a mix of at least three different dual purpose breeds. These chickens are typically indigenous to a particular area and are therefore more suitable to the particular climate. They make wonderful additions to any flock as they provide lots of eggs, beauty, and entertainment. They may come in any color, size, or comb shape.
    [​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    coloful pullet...

3. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! I'm thinking my bearded babies - when I get them - should be awesome layers. Getting ahead of myself, though, as the hen isn't even laying yet :p

4. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks! She lays well and will be one of my foundation hens for next spring's chicks.

5. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Post pics!

6. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, I totally will when they happen! The prospective parents are my avatar; I will be getting other mixes, though... hmm, maybe a 5-toed, double-combed, crested phoenix might be among them?:lau

7. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop
    so any 3 breeds make a baladi?

8. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    Any three dual purpose breeds. This is an old "breed" that is starting to make a comeback. They are basically crossbreeds native to a particular region that are being intentionally bred for meat and egg production. With all of the wonderful breeds you hatch, surely you have some Baladis that are amazing! [​IMG]

9. Heidisgran

Heidisgran Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2013
    Burleson Texas
    My Coop

10. CarolinaHen

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    That's exactly one! [​IMG] Post pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by