Bald Brahma? Banty Dominique?

JDN

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2018
Raleigh NC
I’m not sure if this is normal. Both my Brahma chicks, (unsure of Hatch Date but no later than 2/23,) seem a bit bald...one is way worse than the other , but I can’t figure out if it’s natural development and an awkward stage or something different. Both Brahmas are much more low activity than the other birds.

The other question is about my Dominique. I bought it at TSC with the Brahmas. It seems physically behind. It’s notably smaller than the olive Egger, (2/14 hatch) and Speckled Sussex, Americauna (2/21 hatch) (though I bought those at a breeder) and hasn’t developed tail feathers, even though I know it can’t be much younger than the others...in fact, it was in the same bin as the Brahmas at TSC. That said, it seems fine otherwise, flying like a bowling ball into the ball of birds around the feeder and scattering them, or walking over them to eat...it certainly eats well, is active, has the best personality. Think it could be a bantam?

Attachments

• 961A6B8A-044D-4B3D-89C3-D36916582A08.jpeg
    961A6B8A-044D-4B3D-89C3-D36916582A08.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 498FB47A-13EE-4D2B-A926-3D5370279AC7.jpeg
    498FB47A-13EE-4D2B-A926-3D5370279AC7.jpeg
    576.7 KB · Views: 11
  • EEC5C100-0AC4-4300-8425-618C0449209C.jpeg
    EEC5C100-0AC4-4300-8425-618C0449209C.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 11
  • C721C765-7329-4DF4-9D8E-561647535C76.jpeg
    C721C765-7329-4DF4-9D8E-561647535C76.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 12
Your chicks are ready to live in a coop and have access to a run like the big kids they are. I would say they are at least a month old, maybe six weeks.

The tub they are confined to is much too small and is contributing to stress that causes feather picking. It's urgent that you get them into a bigger environment immediately.

If you still have heat on these chicks, that would be another thing contributing to their stress. It would be the same as if someone forced you to live in a heated room while wearing a heavy winter down coat. Your chicks are almost completely feathered out and no longer require heat. If you turn off the heat, lower the temp in the room you have them in, after a couple days, they can go live in a coop without heat.

Your chicks are ready to live in a coop and have access to a run like the big kids they are. I would say they are at least a month old, maybe six weeks.

The tub they are confined to is much too small and is contributing to stress that causes feather picking. It's urgent that you get them into a bigger environment immediately.

If you still have heat on these chicks, that would be another thing contributing to their stress. It would be the same as if someone forced you to live in a heated room while wearing a heavy winter down coat. Your chicks are almost completely feathered out and no longer require heat. If you turn off the heat, lower the temp in the room you have them in, after a couple days, they can go live in a coop without heat.
Thanks. The lamp is pretty far off them...They relate to the lamp sort of but aren't huddled and aren't scattered so I thought they would be fine. The bin they're in isn't totally tiny, but I agree that they are outgrowing it.

They are in our Laundry Room, which is un heated and I think uninsulated; it isn't "connected" to our house, its off the carport so you walk outside to get to it.

Turn off the heat entirely and in a couple more days, you can safely move them to their outdoor quarters.

Will they have the coop and run to themselves or do you have an adult flock they will need to integrate into?

Turn off the heat entirely and in a couple more days, you can safely move them to their outdoor quarters.

Will they have the coop and run to themselves or do you have an adult flock they will need to integrate into?
They will have it to themselves.

If those chicks are Cornish, you'll have to start monitoring their feed intake. They are usually butchered at 8 weeks, and if they have access to feed 24/7, then they'll have some problems with heart failure pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom