Bald butt and swollen below vent.

Pics
My condolences,always heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. Yes chickens do experience stress/depression/sadness when one of their flock mates die. They were probably calling for her and cannot understand where she is,so heartbreaking.

When we as chicken keepers know the emotional attachment that chickens form to each other and to us,and that there is definitely more to these amazing creatures than what the rest of the world realizes or gives them credit for.

Forgive me if the answer I'm looking for is in an earlier post but when I did a search for bald swollen butt, I got these posts. And while they started a few years back, there were 14 pages so I didn't read them all. I have a Rhode Island Red and she's 1 - 1/2 years old and she's been my faithful layer. She also laid huge eggs. Anyway, she stopped laying a couple of weeks ago and just this week I've noticed her being very lethargic. So I started two days ago giving her electrolites and antibiotics. She's not getting any better at all. In some of the posts I read it talked about hernias and something else I can't remember now, but what I wanted to say was that she's not eating or drinking anything. She's barely moving. In the posts it looked like y'all's chicks were still eating and drinking.

I've also tried a warm tub for half an hour but that's done nothing either. Does anyone have any idea what I can and should do? I hate to see her like this.

Forgive me if the answer I'm looking for is in an earlier post but when I did a search for bald swollen butt, I got these posts. And while they started a few years back, there were 14 pages so I didn't read them all. I have a Rhode Island Red and she's 1 - 1/2 years old and she's been my faithful layer. She also laid huge eggs. Anyway, she stopped laying a couple of weeks ago and just this week I've noticed her being very lethargic. So I started two days ago giving her electrolites and antibiotics. She's not getting any better at all. In some of the posts I read it talked about hernias and something else I can't remember now, but what I wanted to say was that she's not eating or drinking anything. She's barely moving. In the posts it looked like y'all's chicks were still eating and drinking.

I've also tried a warm tub for half an hour but that's done nothing either. Does anyone have any idea what I can and should do? I hate to see her like this.

I am the person with a hen that was diagnosed with a hernia. I am no chicken expert, but I wonder if she had an egg break inside her? Does she have a messy gooey bottom?

Unfortunately we lost her last night. Bummer. Even though she had an attitude and pecked me a lot, ya still hate to lose them. I still wonder what the problem was. I did just read a post where they had the same situation and after the hen died they opened her up and found a tumor. So one says hernia, one says tumor. I guess whatever it is/was, there's nothing I can do about it. I've not read anything so far to that affect..

Okay. Not sure if anyone has answered the actual question or not.

This is a bacterial infection. It is quite common and can be treated over the counter. There is an antibiotic called Oxytetracycline HCI Soluble Powder. You can usually find it at your local feed store but can assuredly find it online. The directions are difficult to understand but if you mix it in a 1 gallon milk carton, mix until it is bright yellow with water and let the chick drink it for two weeks. You will need to isolate the sick chicken but usually will take one to two days to start feeling better.

If that doesn't work, your feed store can order another stronger medication, over the counter, that will finish off the job.

Last edited:
Okay. Not sure if anyone has answered the actual question or not.

This is a bacterial infection. It is quite common and can be treated over the counter. There is an antibiotic called Oxytetracycline HCI Soluble Powder. You can usually find it at your local feed store but can assuredly find it online. The directions are difficult to understand but if you mix it in a 1 gallon milk carton, mix until it is bright yellow with water and let the chick drink it for two weeks. You will need to isolate the sick chicken but usually will take one to two days to start feeling better.

If that doesn't work, your feed store can order another stronger medication, over the counter, that will finish off the job.

I'm not sure which actual question you are referring to since this a rather long thread with a few different issues presented. In general, a swollen, red behind can have various causes and often a bacterial infection is secondary to some other underlying cause. Treating with antibiotic's will help the infection but doesn't cure the underlying problem that caused it.

Last edited:
It is better to save the chicken and IF there is a secondary problem, have the actual time (I.E. the chicken lives) to find an underlying problem... if there is one.

I spoke by experience!

It is better to save the chicken and IF there is a secondary problem, have the actual time (I.E. the chicken lives) to find an underlying problem... if there is one.

I spoke by experience!

So did I, much more then I care to admit unfortunately. My point was not that one should not treat with antibiotic's, you absolutely should if there seems to be infection. My point was that there is generally a serious underlying cause, most of which are not treatable unless one wants to attempt major surgery which is extremely expensive and most birds do not survive.

Last edited:
our barred plymouth rock, michelle, has a big red swollen bottom. worried she was egg bound so tonight i lubed a gloved finger and went in. yellowish watery stuff came out. i went in as far as i could and felt a sphincter, which i am assuming is where she poops from. it was the only orifice i felt. she was ok with this, but when i touched her bottom, she squawked and tried to get away so i know it hurts. the glove had yellow watery discharge on it as well as pinkish stuff, which i am assuming was a little blood. that may have been a result of my probing.

she eats and drinks ok and can walk, even tho it's more of a duck waddle. she is often off by herself in the outside run or behind the coop door. she stands with her eyes closed and just wants everyone to leave her alone. she has been like this for a couple weeks now.

i don't know if she's been laying or not. we have 16 hens and i only know the easter eggers are for sure laying.....3 ee's and 3 ee eggs every day. from the other 13, we only get between 1-3 brown eggs/day. my guess is that michelle is not, and has not, been laying for some time.

i called farm king and they have a poultry antibiotic which i am going to try. it may not help, but i have to at least try. tomorrow i will catch her and soak/massage her butt. i'll give her the antibiotics and separate her from the rest of the gals.

wish me luck!!

Back
Top Bottom