Fish works really well. Plain white fish will give them a protein boost without the problem of extra fats.
Tinned mackerel is fine to but not too much because of the fat content.
Lean meat works well but again only about a cubic inch every other day.
Are you in the UK?
Where did youu get the Ex Battery hens from and what advice did you get when you got them?
This is brilliant. Thank you.
Yes I’m in the UK. They were from a farm near Aylesford in Maidstone - Fresh start for Hens. I didn’t get much advice actually, but they were very lovely.
I will try the white fish - that’s so useful thank you.

This is brilliant. Thank you.
Yes I’m in the UK. They were from a farm near Aylesford in Maidstone - Fresh start for Hens. I didn’t get much advice actually, but they were very lovely.
I will try the white fish - that’s so useful thank you.
Kent, in the garden of England then.:)
I'm going to be blunt, but honest and tell you they're going to break your heart.
Most batteries remove hens from the production units at 18 months old. Most are killed.
The average lifespan of battery hens (looks like you have red sex links of some description) is a bit less than four years.:(
This means you may have a couple of years with your hens before they become ill and die. You need to be prepared for this.
There is the temptation to try to save the lives of sick battery hens when they reach the point where they become sick, usually from reproductive disorders.
In the vast majority of cases you will be wasting your time and money and unfortunately many vets will treat and charge knowing full well the hen is unlikely to survive more than a few more months at most.
You need to be aware of this.
What you can do is try to give them the best quality of life you can while they are alive and when they become sick, put them out of their misery as quickly as possible.

Have you checked the hens over for mites and lice?
You're going to need some stuff. Click on the link below and it will take you to the post where I've made a list of products you can get in the UK to treat various problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/post-25137296

I'm going to be blunt, but honest and tell you they're going to break your heart.
Most batteries remove hens from the production units at 18 months old. Most are killed.
The average lifespan of battery hens (looks like you have red sex links of some description) is a bit less than four years.:(
This means you may have a couple of years with your hens before they become ill and die. You need to be prepared for this.
There is the temptation to try to save the lives of sick battery hens when they reach the point where they become sick, usually from reproductive disorders.
In the vast majority of cases you will be wasting your time and money and unfortunately many vets will treat and charge knowing full well the hen is unlikely to survive more than a few more months at most.
What you can do is try to give them the best quality of life you can while they are alive and when they become sick, put them out of their misery as quickly as possible.

You're going to need some stuff. Click on the link below and it will take you to the post where I've made a list of products you can get in the UK to treat various problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rescued-chickens-thread.1502267/post-25137296
Thank you Shad

thank you Shadrach- I think it’s good to be prepared for this kind of thing. I will give the best quality of life for whatever is left for them. They are such sweethearts.

Back
Top Bottom