Bald chicken butt

Sr34

In the Brooder
May 19, 2020
Hello all,
I’m a fairly new chicken owner and first time encountering this. A few of my chickens butt feathers around the vent have began to lose feathers, I’ve attached a picture of what one looks like.

please help with any thoughts thank you
E8CDB31F-5200-4714-8EFF-7E1F77F529D2.jpeg

Have you checked for any lice or mites on the chickens?
I haven’t yet as I just noticed the problem today. I just took out all the bedding and sprayed the coop down with a water/dish soap spray and ordered DE to spray down as well. Any other recommendations if this is the case/ are my steps thus far sufficient?

The best time to inspect for anything is at night while they are roosting and you have a headlamp on.
If there are lice or mites, they could be pecking the eggs or critters off each other.
How much roosting space do you have and how many chickens do you have? Pecking could be happening at night or during the day.

The loss of fluff and feathers as well as redness is caused by urates in feces scalding the skin.
Anytime you see feces stuck in fluff and feathers, you should wash it off and dry the area as best as you can. It can be done by soaking the hen in a container of warm water.
In summertime, you can use a garden hose with sprayer to wash it off, then release her. She'll dry off on her own.
As far as treatment goes for your hen, apply Nu-Stock to the effected area. Shake the tube well before applying it and wear disposable gloves. It can be found in the equine section at a feed store. The Nu-Stock will heal the area and prevent any picking.
View attachment 2501396

The best time to inspect for anything is at night while they are roosting and you have a headlamp on.
If there are lice or mites, they could be pecking the eggs or critters off each other.
How much roosting space do you have and how many chickens do you have? Pecking could be happening at night or during the day.
I have 8 female chicks and there is about 8 ft of roosting space broken down into 2 4ft perches, im worried about mites for sure, what do you recommend for mite treatment

Back
Top Bottom