Bald Eagle is watching our chickens!!!!!

Flare gun, BB gun, air rifle, it doesn't matter. You are harrassing them if you do it and it's illegal.

To our state law, it is legal if you shoot at a Bald Eagle if they are harming or threatening your livestock - And yes, they have been moved from the Endangered list. I know, it is a very controversial thing to mention. I also think they're a majestic animal, and have never actually shot one - But if one were to actually come after my chickens, I probably wouldn't hesitate to hit it with a paintball, and nothing more. I wouldn't dare actually injure it.

We have a Bald Eagle nest on the back part of our pasture. They have been there for over 20 years. The river is closer tothem than my chickens and thankfuly they seem to like fish and turtle better than chicken.

I have crows and bluejays. They keep the hawks away so far. I really don't know what I'd do if I had hawks eyeing my chickens, my girls would be real ticked off at me if I kept them in the pen.

No offense and not wanting to start anything, but to get a permit to kill a raptor I believe it is a requirement to show that other means including harassment was used to ward off the offending raptor. Feeding crows would also be considered a form of harassment and is perfectly legal, even killing a endangered animal is legal without permit if personal injury is a danger. Once a predator establishes a hunting ground they usually do not leave until they are ready, and will attack a person if they feel their nest is in danger. If a raptor attacks a person that raptor is then killed by Fish and Wildlife, regardless of the migratory bird act, same as any other predator. Harassment makes much more sense than going to the extent of a permit or stitches to the scalp.

BTW a flare gun would be a fire hazard almost anywhere but the water, I was talking about a fog horn, the type sometimes used at athletic events used by spectators.

Last edited:
We also have Crows, Ravens, and Steller's Jays, and I don't really know what Blue Jays are like, but Steller's Jays are just the most mischevious little brats. . . . But none of those are any trouble. We also have hawks too but only in really large, open clearcuts and meadows (more than 10 acres of an open area) For us, it is the Bald Eagles. Again, I'd never kill one or hurt one, I just am tired of them coming around so low. . . I think there's a pair here that nest in the trees across the road.
hmm.png
We haven't had any losses yet, and hopefully never will, but. . . Can't be too careful.
smile.png

Some time dedicated to stringing a grid of strong test fishing line across the top of a pen I believe is not illegal, as long as it is to cover the pen. And then far as I am concerned FLYER BEWARE!

Quote:
Not sure I would, or anyone for that matter - Want to run along some string through 3 acres of pasture to keep the Eagles out. . . I already had to put up the poles and fence and seed the place all by my self without any machine, sooo. . . That would just be a waste of time.
wink.png

When it comes to birds of prey, federal law supersedes state law. If you doubt that threads like this are being monitored, I would suggest that you do a search on "operation high roller-pigeons." These guys thought that they may have been within their rights to protect their pigeons. They weren't and paid the price. Regardless of what your local game warden may have told you, you can not legally harass or kill protected species. If you feel the need to do so and talk about it, accept the possibility of consequences similar to what these guys incurred.

Quote:
That's how it is here. DH says the golden eagles have been nesting at the back of the farm for as long as he can remember. They've never created any problems with any of the livestock.
Though bald eagles have been de-listed from the endangered species act, they are still protected by federal law:

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/protect/laws.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom