Bald eagle tried to eat one of my hens

{Heck, the eagle can't even see them under the trees.}

Don't bet on that! Ever hear of "eagle eyes"? They can zoom in on a mouse at 100 yards or better, so a chicken would be nothing for them to see, even under a bush. They can dive-bomb them to flush them out into the open, then when the chickens run, they will nab them.

Just read this post because I had a similar experience today. I heard one of the roosters making a racket.....not the normal noise and looked out my door and watched him for a minute. He was really getting loud and everyone else was watching him. At first I thought he was trying to crow.....then realized he was not acting normal at all. I took off out there and right as I rounded the corner a hawk flew up from the chicken yard and into the woods.

We have a cover on the yard.....it is wire and the holes are actually large enough for the hawk to get through if he wanted but once inside he would be stuck and unable to fly back out. And if he managed to get one of the chickens he certainly could not fly out with it. So, the hawk must have been sitting on the top of the cover to the pen.

I have to say that I was impressed with the roo that was making the racket. It definately was a different sound. I knew it was distresss because of the time earlier this summer when there was a snake in the yard heading towards the coop and pen. I made it out there in time to 'stop the snake in it's tracks'....his head ended up four inches down in the dirt! I knew what I was killing as I was doing it....Copperhead! So, needless to say when the roo was making racket I hot footed it out the door.

We have several roo's and they are all the same age. All the chickens were brought home May 8th this year. Now to figure out who the super roo is so we will keep him when we start thinning out the roo's. And that will be his name 'Super Star'........
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
They're short, low branched trees, mostly apples. The girls are getting too big for hawks, and the eagles have problems under the trees. There are shrubs as well. The girls mostly stayed under the lilac yesterday. Plus, I'm there. I think that eagle will hesitate to tangle with the crazy lady. Heck, the eagle can't even see them under the trees.

That's good!
smile.png

Hawks do not have to be big enough to fly off with your hens. They will swoop down, stun them and then eat them alive. In Arizona they have Harris Hawks who hunt in packs. One or two hawks will flush out the birds and the others are waiting to kill them. I have seen a group of five hawks stalking my chickens. Hawks are quick and quiet. Glad you saved your hen.

"Hawks do not have to be big enough to fly off with your hens. They will swoop down, stun them and then eat them alive."

With me there yelling and charging?

I didn't make myself clear. All free ranging will be with me right there. The only real danger with me there is something big swooping in and taking off with one of them. The trees are too close together, and too low branched for that to happen easily. That's how I was able to chase the eagle. It had gotten itself under the trees. It couldn't head for the sky without some maneuvering.

Ok....now I am wondering if the wire is enough. We don't have the same kind of hawks here in Arkansas. Never see more than one at a time. I have several roo's in there still and I don't think they would go easily the way they were acting. At least they are loud enough when there is danger that they get my attention. Will be going out with the shotgun from now on. We have put it by the door so I can snag it on the way out. Not sure I would be a dead aim but close enough to get some buckshot in the hawk. I feel such a responsibility to them because I chose to get them.....have to take care of them.
yippiechickie.gif
:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick:yiipchick

Back
Top Bottom