Bald Eagles

It's easy to panic watching youtube videos on this sort of thing, and I won't say concern isn't justified. I just take some stock that predators do have a kind of self awareness to choose an easy meal over one that might challenge them.
I do agree with that, a red-shouldered hawk was circling around yesterday while I was outside. It sent all the birds running to me (minus the geese) and eventually it did fly off. By summer I'll have nine adult geese running around with everyone, I'm hoping that'll be enough of a visual deterrent for the eagles.

I do agree with that, a red-shouldered hawk was circling around yesterday while I was outside. It sent all the birds running to me (minus the geese) and eventually it did fly off. By summer I'll have nine adult geese running around with everyone, I'm hoping that'll be enough of a visual deterrent for the eagles.
There's some who say 1 Goose if you're just wanting a LSG, as two will only care about their partner, but who wants just one Goose? Besides I agree an army is a pretty good deterant haha, just keep the stragglers in line :)

Not sure even an army of geese deter birds of prey. My chickens roost on a stall rail in open barn with my geese/ducks (who choose to also sleep inside barn at night). When the owl struck our chickens, we were alerted by our 32 geese running to our house's back door without making noise. My husband ran out to the barn, to find the owl standing on floor with our rooster in its mouth.

Not sure even an army of geese deter birds of prey. My chickens roost on a stall rail in open barn with my geese/ducks (who choose to also sleep inside barn at night). When the owl struck our chickens, we were alerted by our 32 geese running to our house's back door without making noise. My husband ran out to the barn, to find the owl standing on floor with our rooster in its mouth.
A lot of geese can deter smaller land predators, such as raccoons and opossums, but, as you said, a large air predator will scare them, because they really have no defense against their beaks and claws. They will try to protect goslings, however, if a large bird flies over, by circling the goslings, lowering their necks and expanding their wings . . . while making a really strange sound.

Here's a snap of the pair that swings by now and then.

Attachments

• baldeaglepair.JPG
    baldeaglepair.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom