Lake, Bald Eagles, Need Advice

DuckyChan

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
Hi!
I began posting about my four drakes last year. 😊
It’s been awhile since I have been here due to my having separated and moved out of my previous home.
I have moved to my father’s property, where we have a beautiful small private lake.
I had to leave my drakes behind with my ex husband while I completed my move with the intention of preparing a place for them near the lake.
I just got a message from my ex that one of my drakes, Nim Nim, my Kahki Campbell, has passed; now I’m rather upset and even more intent upon getting the other three - all Rouens - moved here with me as soon as possible.
I have concerns -
We have a pair of beautiful Bald Eagles that have a giant nest right across the lake and have raised seven eaglets here for the last five years. Would they pose a threat to my ducks? Two of my Rouens are a decent size, but one of them is quite small and looks close to straight Mallard.
They are also used to being brought indoors at night, so was in the process of designing a shed to build; now that I find my ex has not been taking proper care of them, I’m considering purchasing a safe and sturdy coop/shed for them asap.

ANY ideas on nighttime sheds, and advice about Bald Eagles would be MUCH appreciated !!!!
Thank you!
- Chan

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8977.jpeg
    IMG_8977.jpeg
    566 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8285.jpeg
    IMG_8285.jpeg
    586 KB · Views: 6
they are beautiful. i’m sorry for your loss and stressful situation.
some bald eagles are pretty huge. wingspan over 6 feet. i have seen them here in the trees across the street and flying over my yard a few times. but my ducks are still fine , have never lost any to predators and it’s been eight years. most of my ducks are smaller than yours too.
And I do not keep them in a covered run, however, my yard is fenced in 6 ft fence, and my ducks have 3000 ft.² with dozens of obstacles, such as children’s play houses, slides, small trees, patio, umbrellas, picnic tables, yard, chairs, and more. There is never a space big enough for a hawk or eagle to swoop down into.
I also have two geese in an adjacent pen, who sound an alarm when they see anything dangerous nearby, I also have a dog, who sometimes spends time out with the ducks because they get along great since she was a puppy when they were ducklings.
And last but not least, I have prayed for my ducks, and believe the Lord watches over them.
some may scoff about that but it is my faith.

I have the same faith, so no judgement here. 🌻
Thank you for your reply!
The area I plan on keeping them has many trees right by the lake edge.
There are sooo many squirrels and other small prey in the area. We also have an enormous amount of fish in the lake, and I’ve seen the eagles catching fish many times. I believe that’s their favorite food, as well. I’m hoping they will simply be uninterested in the trouble of going after my ducks when they have ample food supply otherwise.
they are beautiful. i’m sorry for your loss and stressful situation.
some bald eagles are pretty huge. wingspan over 6 feet. i have seen them here in the trees across the street and flying over my yard a few times. but my ducks are still fine , have never lost any to predators and it’s been eight years. most of my ducks are smaller than yours too.
And I do not keep them in a covered run, however, my yard is fenced in 6 ft fence, and my ducks have 3000 ft.² with dozens of obstacles, such as children’s play houses, slides, small trees, patio, umbrellas, picnic tables, yard, chairs, and more. There is never a space big enough for a hawk or eagle to swoop down into.
I also have two geese in an adjacent pen, who sound an alarm when they see anything dangerous nearby, I also have a dog, who sometimes spends time out with the ducks because they get along great since she was a puppy when they were ducklings.
And last but not least, I have prayed for my ducks, and believe the Lord watches over them.
some may scoff about that but it is my faith

I have the same faith, so no judgement here. 🌻
Thank you for your reply!
The area I plan on keeping them has many trees right by the lake edge.
There are sooo many squirrels and other small prey in the area. We also have an enormous amount of fish in the lake, and I’ve seen the eagles catching fish many times. I believe that’s their favorite food, as well. I’m hoping they will simply be uninterested in the trouble of going after my ducks when they have ample food supply otherwise.
I suspect your ducks would be ok on land, but eagles do kill and eat ducks. My parents live on a lake in MO and we have watched an Eagle catch and kill a wild duck on the lake. These were much smaller ducks (I think Grebes or Golden eyes) so yours might be ok. Still eagles feeding young will be much more dangerous as they are tired parents looking for a quick meal for their young. I would not want my pets swimming where eagles hunt. Perhaps you could find a way pen them partly in the water 🤷‍♀️.

My wife and I spent a year in Chignik Lagoon AK. The subsistent natives would net and then clean their salmon 40 yds out from our teacherage window. We'd watch the sea gulls, village dogs, and eagles vie for the remains. Normally the eagles preferred to scavenge whatever was dead. The exception was when the small Emperor geese would migrate thru. Then the eagles were all business in attacking the 4 lb. hen geese. Wasn't a quick kill either. Maybe your large drakes would be spared predation, but you don't want to see such an attack on your pets. Eagles are an elevated national symbol so your options are limited. Yes, I'd build a large run with chicken wire/ netting above. Maybe you can get permission to extend it into the lake. I hope you are able to get your guys back and can give 'em a safe stimulating environment. Best wishes.

Edit: see

I rambo-ed an enormous bald eagle attacking one of my babies​

April 9th thread

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom