Mating Season Aggression

TunaMooCookieChallah

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2024
Hi, new here!

I need some help as I haven’t encountered this before. Two of my call duck drakes (born last April), who are the most snuggly, wonderful, choice I’ve ever made in terms of pets, have become very aggressive towards me this mating season. If I walk into the run to bring feed, water, or just hang out, they fly directly at my face and then peck the life out of my legs. Not a huge issue now, as I’m still in boots and pants, but I worry if this continues into warmer weeks. I have small children, who they have been around since they hatched, and I have had to keep them out of the duck area these days. I have tried to pick them up (that works best), but it is not ideal as I cannot do tasks and hold two angry ducks. The other suggestion I came across was to hold them down gently for a minimum of five minutes. I have tried this, as well, with little success. Should it be like dog training and this works over time? Or will this new protective/territorial side of them be here to stay indefinitely? They have always been my happiest and most social out of all the ducks. I’m really sad about their behavior. I love them very much and don’t think I could part with them, but obviously my children’s safety comes first.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

When hormones start rising, the sweetest of drakes can become monsters. If you use the search function for drake aggression, you will find lots of suggestions and others' stories. I would carry a broom into the run so you can at least shove them away to do chores.
You should absolutely not let your children have any interaction with the ducks while this lasts.
Are these your only 2 ducks?

The handsome grumps in question! White is Tuna and Mallard is Moo. My two year old named them.

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom