Guard geese?

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hi all,

Tl;DR I have a problem with a large raptor and need to know if geese would help in this situation, and if so, what information should I know about them to prepare myself?

I’m trying to find ways to safeguard my flock from raptors. I know that continuing to keep them confined in their run is the safest option, but I don’t have enough space to keep everyone content and to see to their specific needs. I’ve had several aggression issues with hens amongst each other and even had to treat an open head wound recently.

That being said, I want to find out if guard geese would be a good idea? I also want to install netting above some of the open areas but I need something to help protect my hens in the event of an attack. I have a very large hawk or eagle pair that lives near me and one has killed one of my large roosters and killed my neighbors guineas. While I have had hawk attacks in the past, none of my birds died, my previous rooster did an amazing job protecting my hens. Now I need something larger that a raptor won’t kill.

Would geese be good for this? What housing requirements do they need? How do they get along with roosters/chickens? How many should I get? Do they need swimming water? What gender should I get? Would they be good deterrents protectors? Simple information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I used to free range my chickens and ducks, but heavy hawk and fox pressure meant heavy losses. A secure run and aviary netting put an end to the losses.

I also raise geese. They're not livestock guardian animals, and eagles prey on geese. Pyxis wrote an article on the myth of the "guard goose" that you may find helpful in making an informed decision. Based on what you've described, a properly-sized secure run sounds like the best option to keep your chickens safe.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom