Bald hen for several months now ~ any advice *pics included*

GaNewChick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
McDonough, Ga.
She's been bald for about 3 to 4 months now. She also appeared to be molting, but has been this way for a couple of months now. I've brought her inside *the garage* to watch her, as her mate was a little too agressive. She's been inside now for about 4 weeks with no sign whatsoever of any news feathers coming in. She has a healthy appetite, poop is normal ~ and is a lovable talking little gal. Sorry for the bad pics ... she wouldn't be still!

Any advice?

girl2.jpg

girl1.jpg

I recommend you increase her protein intake. That will help with feather regrowth. It takes time to go through molts and regrow feathers. You can provide her scrambled egg mixed in her feed or buy gamebird feed and give that to her, it contains about 22% protein. You can add poultry nutri drench to her water. It has plenty of vitamins and minerals to help her get through this. If she's lost feathers off her back, you might consider buying a chicken saddle for her to protect her back. Check her over for lice/mites too...you never know.

You know that has to be lice or mites. I had a hen who had a bald back and thinned out tail feathers like forever. She also was a little bald on top like that. She always looked like heck (I was embarrassed). Well, I'd treat a little for bugs here and there. What I finally did was give them all a good dusting with the seven, really working it in deep down into the feathers. On the baldy, I got it up as close as I could on the bald head without getting it in her eyes. I sprayed their legs with the Scarlet Oil (get a spray top separately because it doesn't come with one). Either then or the day before, I gave them each a couple drops of the pour on Ivermectin. I dusted the coop, run and pen. The combination of all those things really seemed to do the job. Now I can't tell her apart from all the other hens. Recently, I gave them all the treatment for the tape worms, the Valbazan. Now all their color has come out, deep reds, black highlights, and they're all very happy.

I agree with the worming thing. CAN YOU SEE LICE?? Pull up her feathers and look at the roots between her wings, and around the vent. If you have chickens you will have lice battles from time to time and its not your fault its just the nature of nature. Agree with everything that is said here and got in 3 unwanted hens SORTA like her-baldies...I sprayed the poo outta them with Adams (my lice killer of choice) and then I rub Vet RX all over thier head...already seeing pinny's coming in in a weeks time. There is HOPE...or we can get some nice polish chicken folks out there to maybe make her a wig.
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
Good Luck!

hmmmm ~ so she could have lice/mites, which means they all have them? She is the only one showing signs from having them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh trust me...if one has them...most all have them as does every crack in your pens/coop. If you have wild birds landing in your yard..you are at risk for mites/lice. There is no shame in it, tho you can feel that way. You pull those feathers backwards and look at the white fluff/down and skin. If they are lice...you will see them tho you may have to squint. Smaller than fleas (which can also be a problem in chickens) light brown...dont really move...almost could be confused with dir specks. You can give a bath using some Adams shampoo or flea dip...just go easy on it and mix in some reguar shampoo too. Then you will REALLY see them. I would sure recommend a good bath at least for this girl...and then invest in a bottle of Adams and have at it in your coop and spray your other birds. Sevin dust works well too.
smile.png
So does tobacco dust.

Oh and this may sound stilly but an old timey non chemical fix for mites and lice is to put burnt wood ashes (from your burn pile or fireplace) in your pens for them to bath in. Works...or at least helps!

Sorry to go on....but another fast fix till you can get to the store....Rub vasilene all over her baldy head....wont fix your mite/lice prob but will keep them from her head and will kill the ones that are there. Baby oil can even work too in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom