Bald patch?

dgriffi3

Songster
Jun 27, 2013
Tampa, FL
We have 8 pullets and 1 cockerel (soon to be rehomed to a family friend.) They are all about 3 months old. 6 of the 9 are silkie bantams, and there are 2 golden sex links and 1 maran (I think.)

One of the sex links has a bare patch on her chest. I can take a photo when I am home later, but it is basically a smallish patch where her feathers are thinned out. (about a 2 inch area).

What could be causing this? They have plenty of room during the day--the run is quite large and they are still small. The coop itself is not yet big enough for when they are grown, but they all sleep in a pile on one side and leave the other side empty so it certainly doesn't seem like it's too small for them at THIS age. I am extending the floor either this weekend or early next week, I just haven't had time to get to it.

I mention the breeds because she is the 3rd largest chicken of the bunch. The maran is largest, then the other sex link, and then her. The rest are bantams and half the size of these three. I have never seen the other chickens peck at her or pull her feathers, but my daughter (7) says she did a few weeks back.

So...is this just chicken bullying, or could something else be causing it? She doesn't seem to be the least bit distressed!

Could be some uneven juvenile molting, lice/mites... possibly could be bullying though I don't think it'd be that as the chest isn't where you'd usually see feather picking.

Photos would be good.

Back
Top Bottom