Bald spot from feather pluckers. temps dropping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by patman75, Nov 14, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had some trouble with some feather pluckers but I have been able to stop it.

However I have a RIR who has a bald spot infront of her tail that is 1.5 inch by 1 inch and the feathers are not growing back in this spot.

With the temperatures falling I fear she will be going thought the winter with this bald spot. The coop is not heated and temps get down around 0 degrees F for a few weeks of the year.

Do I have to worry about frost bite or exposure during the winter? Is there anything I can do for her?

Thanks for the help.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She will probably be fine, if you don't have a problem with frostbitten combs. You can put a saddle or whatever they call them on her if you want - just a piece of cloth fastened under the wings with straps or strips of cloth. I just cut them out of a scrap of polarfleece, making two slits to put the wings through.

3. fancyflea

fancyflea Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    I had the same problem with one of my hens. I seperated the hen and the feathers grew back in about 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by