Bald spot on back.

BigMama

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Ok, first let me start off by saying that I was raised in town all my life. I didn't move to the country until I married my husband, so I am pretty niave about what goes on around a farm.

One of my chickens has a bald spot on her back. When I looked closer it looks like the feathers were pulled out or broken off. I have never noticed the other chickens pecking at her, there is no blood or scabbing.

When I mentioned this to my husband, he told me that it was probaly from a roo holding on to her. My hens should be laying anytime now.

Is he right? Does this usually happen?

Lower chickens in a pecking order... and for some reason any barred rock I have ever gotten... can lose their feathers on their back and get bald spots because the rooster holds on to their head/neck feathers and steps on to their backs. It breaks alot of the feathers this way. It's not unusual.

I would say it is probably from the roo. My gals get that way...bare backed. Its ugly to see...but just part of what happens when you have a roo. If you notice pecking...I would spray her with blue coat.

It's happened to a couple of my hens too. I guess they're getting a little more action than the others!
wink.png

Yep, the roo is the culprit here. Treading the hens back during mating is the cause and your husband is correct. Hens won't regrow the feathers until they molt, so sunburn can be a problem if the hens free range in the open. We put 30 sunblock on some of the roos favorite hens when extreme sunshine could cause sunburn while free ranging.

bigzio

I'm also thinking the Roo...cause when Billy was alive, my Aussies were "bald backed" haha

YEs that may be the case....

But how do all the other feathers look. Clean, shiny? Or battered looking.

If they're battered looking you may have feather mites--sometimes the lack of feathers on the back is the first sign you have a problem. It's still the roo- but the reason for the feather breakage may be that the feathers are in poor condition from the mites and thus break easily.

MOst of the time...it's the roo's favorite...

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom