Bald spot on EE's head

klesoine

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Is this from mating?
24729_img_6646.jpg

24729_img_6643jpg.jpg

She is small but her appetite is good. There are feathers at the base of her back that have been pulled out. I put pine tar on it twice just as she was roosting but it was gone by morning. It looks like feathers may be trying to grow back in but this is 2 weeks now and I'm wondering if there is something else that is wrong or if there's something I should do. There is one rooster for 10 hens.

What do I do? Should I buy one of those saddles? Would that keep him from mating with her too much? And what do I do to protect her head? He seems to LIKE pine tar.

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done for their heads is my question also....some say nothing can be done? Neosporin can't be used instead of tar to coat the head & promote healing?

Quote:
Is there anything that can be done for their heads is my question also....some say nothing can be done? Neosporin can't be used instead of tar to coat the head & promote healing?

I use neosporin on mine if the skin is broken. It would do nothing to prevent pecking from the other birds though. I can't really tell from the pics how bad it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom