Bald spot on Hen

She spends most of her time on the top shelf in the coop; ( we have some old shelves in the coop that they can roost on, in addition to a rod and nesting boxes) she barely comes down to eat and drink, but manages to get down once in a while if the rooster is not in there during the day.
The rooster tries to mate with her, but she just flys up to the top shelf and stays there all day.
How many hens do you have?
How old is your rooster?
The baldness is due to overmating.
She does have some pin feathers coming in, the ones that are broken/rubbed off won't come in until she molts.
A saddle may help, I've used those, but feathers can still get worn off even with the extra protection.
Since she is not coming down to eat/drink unless the rooster is not around, then it may be time to separate him out for a little while. You don't want her to lose condition.
You can separate him for a few hours each day to give your ladies some peace.

Thanks for your reply! Let's see....I have 6 barred rock hens, 4 black star hens, 1 black star chick, about 4 months old. I have 2 grown roosters, they split their time between the flock. I am thinking about either closing the coop door for an hour each day, so that the ladies can come down from the shelf and eat/drink. ~ OR, I was also thinking about bringing up my balding hen up to our house. I have a large dog kennel, I can keep her in that, throw on a chicken diaper, and let her walk around. She's very tame. I just got some Feather Fixer and will just feed her that.

Ok, I will shut the roosters out til mid-day (because they all sleep in the coop together now because it got cold!) so that the hens can have some peace. Fed her some Feather Fixer in a small bowl. But should I bring her up to the house and separate her from the flock for a while until her feathers grow back, or just keep her in the coop with the other hens?

If she is getting along with the other hens, then I would leave her with the flock. If she is brought inside where it's warmer and she's separated completely from the others, then you will need to re-acclimate her to your winter weather temps and likely need to go through a re-introduction period.

I'm not a fan of complete isolation/separation unless it's absolutely necessary. Birds need to stay with or near the flock (within sight) and in the environment that they are used to, if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom