Bald spot on hen's rear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by catdaddy66, Nov 29, 2010.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Went to feed and water the girls today and as one of my EE hen's was feeding, my wife and I noted a bald spot at the base of her rear end (near the beginning of the tailfeathers) on her back. I don't have a picture but the skin did not appear open or weeping/draining, just a bit flaky or scaly. The color was mostly yellow and/or white so no infection or inflammation seemed to be present. The area was about the size of a 1/2 dollar and no other hen had this condition. Any ideas on what it may be or how to treat it? Hope the wizards here on BYC have some magic for my girl! Thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ovofrappe4u

ovofrappe4u New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Either she is being peck by other in the flock or she is pecking herself. She may have mites or lice, or she is being pecked on for a behavioural problem namely boredom or even poor nutrition.

Regardless the bald spot needs something like bag balm, ( drugstore ) udder cream ( drugstore) or rooster booster no peck ( google)

You should spend some time reading on the board here about the suggestion I have given, as there is truly a mountain of information. I found my answer to my similar problem and had to go thru several option before finding something that worked for my hen.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Do you have a roo? My two EEs have identical spots in the same location. They are the roo's favorite girls. I believe mine are from his sloppy advances. I am contemplating using some duct tape on the areas since I can't keep saddles on them, the wriggly little buggers.

4. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Thanks for the info, guys! CMV, I have NO roos at the moment. Ovo, it does make more sense about boredom vs the poor nutrition/mites/lice as no other birds have this condition and the feed is consistant and regular. They DO stay indoors as my run is not yet predator proof and my last flock was wiped out to the last bird by dogs! These girls have not been outside for fear of the same. I do want you to know that my 12 girls have 64 sq ft (8x8) of space which is above the recommended space of 4'/bird. Still, they need stimulation of any sort, and not just of the treat variety. I guess the udder cream will be my next remedy and hope it does the trick. Thanks again, and I will post info on the outcome and (I hope) pics before and after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by