Bald spot on Tilda

KatyT

In the Brooder
Hello!
My chicken has had a bald spot on her chest for about 2 months. It has been growing increasingly. Now she seems to be developing a bigger pimple-like thing. She behaves normally and her eggs seem not to be affected. The other three chickens show no signs of illness. They all behave normal towards each other. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Greetings from Germany,
Katy
1690317290664.png

Two possibilities. One is the roosting perch is causing this. It may be too rough or too small diameter. Or it could be depluming mites. These mites are too small to see, and they irritate the skin and cause a lot of discomfort so the chicken often plucks out her own feathers trying to stop the misery.

Two possibilities. One is the roosting perch is causing this. It may be too rough or too small diameter. Or it could be depluming mites. These mites are too small to see, and they irritate the skin and cause a lot of discomfort so the chicken often plucks out her own feathers trying to stop the misery.
Thank you so much for your reply. What can I do to help her? Any ideas?

You can start by padding the perch where she sleeps in case she's rubbing it. If the perch is less than nine centimeters wide, swap it out for a wider perch.

If the perch is nine centimeters or more, then perhaps it's depluming mites. If you are able to purchase Ivermectin 1% Solution. Withdraw with a needle syringe, but only place three to five drops on the skin on the back of the neck. This will also treat intestinal worms.

Last edited:
You can start by padding the perch where she sleeps in case she's rubbing it. If the perch is less than nine centimeters wide, swap it out for a wider perch.

If the perch is nine centimeters or more, then perhaps it's depluming mites. If you are able to purchase Ivermectin 1% Solution. Withdraw with a needle syringe, but only place three to five drops in the skin on the back of the neck. This will also treat intestinal worms.
Thank you so much. I will have to research if this medication is available in Germany! Fingers crossed!!

I had to correct a typo. It's ON the skin, not in the skin. I hope you can fine this product. It's quite marvelous in its simplicity of delivery.

Back
Top Bottom