Bald spot under wing

marzullol

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
South of Atlanta Georgia
Went to check on the chicks (almost 2 weeks) and found one with a bald spot/sore under it's wing. It is not bloody and the chick maybe plucking/picking it's own feathers. I removed the chick, but it was so lonley and calling I put a small chick in to help keep company.

Is it normal for them to pluck their own feathers? Could it be mites? I can change the bedding of shreaded paper to sand and DE? Is there a balm or something to put on it to keep it from plucking it's feathers or to help it heal?

Hi! I was sorry to see that no one responded to your photos. I have a chick with the same issue. Did you ever figure it out? Did yours survive? (I hope so!) Our wee one is 6 days old and just one of three chicks that we have so I don't want to separate her and stress her out.
Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you!

I just noticed one of our 3 week old chicks has this same thing as the picture above. I have been trying to research what to do for her. She is picking at it and it doesn't look like it is bleeding, but has been oozing because I can see her fluff and feathers are dark and sticky. Anything that can help her would be great. I saw something about washing with boiled and then cooled salt water. I am also wondering what is causing it.

Put some antibiotic ointment on it to heal it up, hopefully your chick will stop picking at it. If the picking continues, you may need to make something to cover that area.

Back
Top Bottom