Bald spots; Light brahma

kjk66ss

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 18, 2011
chatsworth,ca
hello,

i have 12 chicks. hatched all by me. all the chicks are 10 weeks old. out of the 12 different chicks i have 2 light brahma roosters that have been REALLY slow in developing feathers. so slow to the point they have bald spots all over. is this normal or what is wrong. all the other chicks are fully feathered already.

I have no idea.....with that said I did find a couple old threads that spoke of this....

1st thread said her chick was partially blind so it developed slower...couldn't find the feed/water. Is there anything else you notice about him? I am guessing they are all on the same feed. correct? I personally am thinking nutrition problem but like I said earlier I have no Idea.

2nd thread mentioned something about having a "slow" feathering gene. Now I have no Idea about this one at all.

Here's a Bump...
smile.png

I know this is an old post...but I wonder how it turned out with your chick? I have a Brahma chick too (about 3 1/2 weeks old) and have noticed the same bald spots. She appears to be fine otherwise so I have been wondering if this is just the way Brahma's develop, and her feathers will come in slower than the other chicks.

I know this is an old post...but I wonder how it turned out with your chick? I have a Brahma chick too (about 3 1/2 weeks old) and have noticed the same bald spots. She appears to be fine otherwise so I have been wondering if this is just the way Brahma's develop, and her feathers will come in slower than the other chicks.
It is the way that Brahmas develop. Generally, they are pretty slow to feather out. By 12 weeks, the pullets should have most of their feathers, the cockerels are very obvious by how slowly they feather. Almost impossible to accurately tell before 4-6 weeks what sexes you may have.

Thank you very much for your reply Bumpercarr! These are my first chickens so it is very comforting to know that this is normal. Appreciate the response!

Back
Top Bottom