Balding and possible seizures

HopesHappyHens

Hatching
Mar 20, 2021
I'm reaching out to you all today after coming up short on all research I've done for this chicken. I have a black austrolorp that is just over a year old. She got kicked out of her first coop in the middle of the night so we put her with bantams and they still picked on her. She then lost all the feathers on her head and shortly after we found her on her back, legs in the air. We thought she was dead, but came back to when we brought her inside. Ever since then she will not go outside. Even if forced she frantically tries to get back inside. We have found her 2 other times like this. Last night we heard what sounded like a seizure from her in their coop and again found her on her back, clinging to life. She is now in a kennel, inside, watching TV 🤣🤣 someone please help me!

Hi there,
Could it be mareks? We had a chicken which had seizures. It came from a reputable dealer but we think there was a mix up in timing of vaccine and it got marek's disease.

She sent downhill very quickly, it was neurologically mostly effected which meant the others bullied it a lot. Lost the ability to walk quite quickly. Thankfully we found a vet about an hour from us which treated chickens and they put her down as she was in so much pain. I am glad we went to check though because otherwise I wouldn't have known how to help her or diagnose it.

How are things now?

Hi there,
Could it be mareks? We had a chicken which had seizures. It came from a reputable dealer but we think there was a mix up in timing of vaccine and it got marek's disease.

She sent downhill very quickly, it was neurologically mostly effected which meant the others bullied it a lot. Lost the ability to walk quite quickly. Thankfully we found a vet about an hour from us which treated chickens and they put her down as she was in so much pain. I am glad we went to check though because otherwise I wouldn't have known how to help her or diagnose it.

How are things now?
Hi there,

How are things now?
She doesn't seem to have enough of the symptoms of mareks. She is fine now that we set her up in our greenhouse. I've been giving her vitamins and probiotics and she's looking a lot better, especially because no one can pick on her now. We are thinking now, it may be an inner ear infection. We live in a very rural area and the closest vet is hours away, we did get word today of a retired bird vet coming to town this week and we are going to take her to be seen. Hoping it's something that can be treated with antibiotics! 🤞

Back
Top Bottom