Balding hen

Chickenvilla2point0

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2022
One of my hens has started going bald behind her comb ever since she stopped being broody. Does anyone know what this is and if I should be concerned?

Attachments

• 3C62BB19-8C71-4EB0-8164-18EF8D655633.jpeg
    3C62BB19-8C71-4EB0-8164-18EF8D655633.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 175
Do you have a rooster? This looks to my like a classic case of rooster damage. They tug on this spot to hold on while mating so this often happens which particular hens being mater with a lot.

If you don’t have a boy, I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Yes
Do you have a rooster? This looks to my like a classic case of rooster damage. They tug on this spot to hold on while mating so this often happens which particular hens being mater with a lot.

If you don’t have a boy, I’m afraid I can’t help you.
we do have a rooster but he’s never caused any damage on her or any of the other girls before. Could there be a reason he’s getting a bit more aggressive?

Typically roosters are their busiest in the spring. This isn't too abnormal to see missing feathers here as a result of mating.

Chickens also molt from their head down, so she maybe preparing for that.

Lastly, check for mites or lice. Highly doubt this based on the pics, but important to rule that out.

Typically roosters are their busiest in the spring. This isn't too abnormal to see missing feathers here as a result of mating.

Chickens also molt from their head down, so she maybe preparing for that.

Lastly, check for mites or lice. Highly doubt this based on the pics, but important to rule that out.
Okay thank you so much. On an other note not at all related, do you have any ideas on why her comb may be like that. It’s always been like this since she was a baby. I haven’t been too worried since she’s been in good health otherwise but it is strange since all the others hens have healthy combs.

Okay thank you so much. On an other note not at all related, do you have any ideas on why her comb may be like that. It’s always been like this since she was a baby. I haven’t been too worried since she’s been in good health otherwise but it is strange since all the others hens have healthy combs.
Are you referring to the white?

So it can be a lot of things. At the least, just being dry - at the worst, a fungal disease like favus or fowl pox. Favus can make the feathers fall off around the back of the head and face - and would have most likely spread to everyone else if this was the case. So you'd see it pretty quickly and progressively in the other birds.

However, some chickens also just have dryer combs, especially if you live in a dyer climate like we do. You can start by just applying some vaseline (or shea butter for a more natural approach). If you start to see anything look like it is getting worse, like balding around the eye area and very dry looking skin, then it maybe time to look into more invasive measures. 👍

Are you referring to the white?

So it can be a lot of things. At the least, just being dry - at the worst, a fungal disease like favus or fowl pox. Favus can make the feathers fall off around the back of the head and face - and would have most likely spread to everyone else if this was the case. So you'd see it pretty quickly and progressively in the other birds.

However, some chickens also just have dryer combs, especially if you live in a dyer climate like we do. You can start by just applying some vaseline (or shea butter for a more natural approach). If you start to see anything look like it is getting worse, like balding around the eye area and very dry looking skin, then it maybe time to look into more invasive measures. 👍
Okay that’s great! Thank you very much for the help! 👍

Back
Top Bottom