balding hens

robinh

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
missouri
i posted this in the disease section, but havnt gotten a post back. i have two hens that are losing their feathers on their backs. at first it was just the one and i thought that maby the rooster was giving her to much attention, and then a second one started balding, now the first one is almost completly bald on her back and the secong one is not far behind. is this a disease or what, i need help please???????

I still think your guess is pretty good about the rooster. Roosters do play favorites. We had one hen last year who was totally bald, and her back was all worn; I don't know why she was so hot to our main roo, but she was. I saw several of the other hens in various stages of wear due to the other roosters. Also, your hens might be molting, or maybe mites.

thank you, it prob is my roo, everytime i look outside or go outside, he is getting busy with the black ones, so i guess they are his fav, but will check for mites, thanks again!

You could make (or buy, if you can find) a treading apron for the hens who are being mounted most often. An aggressive roo can really hack up a girl's back if she isn't protected. Usually it is the more timid hens that are at risk because they are most likely to squat. In Gail Damerow's book "Keeping Chickens", she has a pattern for an apron. That's a great book, by the way!

Back
Top Bottom